Author Topic: civvies.  (Read 2186 times)

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
civvies.
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:42 AM »
Could someone run down what is needed for a civilian ship to be created for a shipping line when starting with a conventional start?  don't just say it needs to have "set up for commercial maintenance" as I've been trying to get them to create one for nearly ten years game time and I've gotten nothing.   Commercial shipyard, commercial ships of multiple varieties, a colony on mars and luna with infrastructure and population.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: civvies.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:36 AM »
Main thing is they need the wealth to build one. They use their own designs, so no matter how many designs you have or civ shipyards, that won't affect anything.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
The two things needed are enough wealth to build a ship and market demand.  Civs start with 2000 wealth which is usually enough to build a couple initial ships.  Demand is a little screwy right now.  The civs don't always build what is appropriate.  I've had civs with 20+ colony ships and 1 or 2 cargo ships serving colonies that were screaming for infrastructure and trade goods and 19 colony ships sitting in orbit at idle 11 months out of the year.

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
I honestly just want them to build one ship.   Could building colonies on asteroids have caused this problem to collect minerals BEFORE selecting which terrestial bodies I wanted to colonize?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »
I just went through that in my current game.  They need 3 things.

1) They need at least 1000 credits to build ships.  They start with 2000, which is actually plenty.  Subsidizing isn't actually necessary until they have popped at least two ships.  It takes 3-6 months after you meet all requirements before ships start to pop.

2) You must have a colony with infrastructure.  This means you must build a freighter yourself.  One unit of infrastructure is enough to start things, but it may take as many as 30 to really get things going.
-If they build a Liner, 1 unit Inf on a cost 2.0 planet is enough.  However, I suspect there might be rounding problems with 0.01 pop worlds if your pop growth bonus isn't big enough.  Shipping up to 5 infrastructure in this case may be necessary.
-If they build a Small Colonizer, then 15-20 Infrastructure is the minimum to get them to move colonists.
-If they build a Large Colonizer, then 25-30.

3) You must have Nuclear Thermal Engines.  This means you cannot have civ ships until you have researched Trans-Newtonian Tech, Water Cooled Reactor, and Nuclear Thermal Engine, which can easily take decades.  It took me 22 years to research these.  Note that Conventional Drive ships are slower than some inner system worlds, and the AI isn't smart enough to plot an intercept course.  I consider both of these facts to be bugs.

Until you research Cargo Handlers, you will get database errors every time they pop a new design.
Until you research Cryogenic Transport, they will only be able to pop freighters and luxury liners.

[edit]Edited for more detail[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:36:28 AM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
Quote from: SpikeTheHobbitMage link=topic=6226. msg63512#msg63512 date=1371654874
I just went through that in my current game.   They need 3 things.

1) They need at least 1000 credits to build ships.   They start with 2000, which is actually plenty.   Subsidizing isn't actually necessary until they have popped at least two ships.   It takes 3-6 months after you meet all requirements before ships start to pop.

2) You must have a colony with infrastructure.   This means you must build a freighter yourself.   One unit of infrastructure is enough to start things, but it may take as many as 30 to really get things going.
-If they build a Liner, 1 unit Inf on a cost 2. 0 planet is enough.   However, I suspect there might be rounding problems with 0. 01 pop worlds if your pop growth bonus isn't big enough.   Shipping up to 5 infrastructure in this case may be necessary.
-If they build a Small Colonizer, then 15-20 Infrastructure is the minimum to get them to move colonists.
-If they build a Large Colonizer, then 25-30.

3) You must have Nuclear Thermal Engines.   This means you cannot have civ ships until you have researched Trans-Newtonian Tech, Water Cooled Reactor, and Nuclear Thermal Engine, which can easily take decades.   It took me 22 years to research these.   Note that Conventional Drive ships are slower than some inner system worlds, and the AI isn't smart enough to plot an intercept course.   I consider both of these facts to be bugs.

Until you research Cargo Handlers, you will get database errors every time they pop a new design.
Until you research Cryogenic Transport, they will only be able to pop freighters and luxury liners.

[edit]Edited for more detail[/edit]

URGH, I have no idea where you found 3!  THAT is EXACTLY what I wanted to know!  THANK YOU!  I had everything else set up and ready . . . except for cargo handlers. . .  but th enuclear thermal engines?  How would I have EVER known that without derping around until I found it!  . . .  incidentally, I had a lot of things researched but since I didn't have propulsion, obviously didn't even start going down that route!

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »
URGH, I have no idea where you found 3!  THAT is EXACTLY what I wanted to know!  THANK YOU!  I had everything else set up and ready . . . except for cargo handlers. . .  but th enuclear thermal engines?  How would I have EVER known that without derping around until I found it!  . . .  incidentally, I had a lot of things researched but since I didn't have propulsion, obviously didn't even start going down that route!
You're welcome.  Derping around is the word.  I was actually searching for a bug report on something else which led me to Steve's posts on changes for 6.0, which happened to mention the new Civ shipbuilding rules.  Careful reading of that revealed the bad news.  I was at year 5, and had been expecting civ ships for 2 years already.  ::)

Good luck!

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
>September 30th, 1810 on a 1799 start
>research thermonuclear technology
>Civilians launch a freighter

Yep, seems to be that tech.   

>April 8th, 1816
>Civvies are now growing at a rate faster than the military can deal with, with nearly 15 ships in two different lanes and turning Luna and Mars into full fledged colonies.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:48:13 PM by shoobs »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Sweet, I didn't know that either.  I hate going slow so engine tech is one of my very first research avenues every single game.  I never correlated the two.

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
What do the civvies need to start colonizing other worlds?  I found a star right next to mine with a fully habitable world between earth and venus's orbital radii and with just slightly too little oxygen.    I couldn't believe my luck, so I sent out freighters to place some infrastructure; but the civvies haven't sent any freighters out yet with two jump drive ships sitting pretty at the jump gate.
What do you do to Remove a specified gas from the atmosphere?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:32:40 PM by shoobs »

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »
Civilians need jump gates. They won't use jump tenders.

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
How do you remove a specified gas from the atmosphere?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
Select the gas you want to remove from the drop-down menue.
leave the "Add Gas to Atmosphere" box unchecked
Set "Maximum Atm" to 0 if it isn´t allready
Hit "Save Atm

Done
Ralph Hoenig, Germany