VB6 Aurora > Aurora Chat

How Many Types of Missiles Do you Need?

(1/7) > >>

Borealis4x:
Seeing as every new type of missile requires you to manually distribute them across your empire and needs a missile launcher of appropriate size to launch them, it seems that it would be best to decide on keeping missiles at a similar size depending on their roles so you don't need to swap out launchers for every iteration.

For instance, is it really necessary to have 3 different sizes of anti-ship missile? If you make a bigger ship, isn't it better to simply add more existing launchers to fire more existing missiles simultaneously than to have to design a larger launcher to fire larger missiles?

I say you only need two types of missiles; anti-missile and anti-ship and that those missiles should be kept at the same size for the whole play-through with the only upgrades being new tech.

Iranon:
The considerations that make me choose a particular size don't tend to change much with tech.

Size 1 for AMMs and saturation attacks.
Size 7 for something just large enough for a sensor or a 2-stage approach, a small footpring and 1HTK in a box launcher.
I may have one larger size which be pretty much anything, size 25 seems a good compromise - large enough for most complicated things I may want to try, not excessive for single-stage use.

While I may design multiple versions (different sensors, different ranges for fighters and warships etc, different splits of warhead and agility), standardising on size seems good.
Also, I don't generally upgrade things very much... old ammo will be expended liberally, obsolescent ships will be used on the fringes in peacetime and be used for risky missions in war.

tobijon:
I usually have 2 or 3 types of missiles.  size 1 for anti missile and size 4 and 6 for anti ship

Erik L:
Size 1 AMM
A "light missile", usually in the 3-6 size range
A "medium missile", usually 2x the light.
A "heavy missile", usually 2x the medium.

A heavy MIRV that holds light missiles.

Barkhorn:
1-2 sizes.

Size 1, for AMM's and anti-FAC missiles
Size 6 for ASM's

Occasionally I'll have specialty launchers I only make a handful of missiles for, like Size 25 for buoys or mines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version