Author Topic: Adjusting Terraforming and Suitability  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Sirce (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Adjusting Terraforming and Suitability
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
Currently, in 7. 1 at this time, you can terraform planets to be 0. 1 ATM of Oxygen and have 0. 3 ATM total and have just over -10 C average temperature and it will be just as a paradise as Earth.  I suggest that its on the extreme edge of non-infrastructure survivability that it affect the population growth rate, agriculture and other stuff.  Just because we can live on Mount Everest or the Death Valley doesn't mean people want to live there like Tahiti.  So if its on the extreme edge of 0. 0 colony cost, it should have a penalty to everything unless infrastructures are still used.  Once the sweet spot is reached, say within 25 percent of midpoint deviation (0. 1 to 0. 3 percent of Oxygen where 0. 2 is optimal).  If temperature and breathable atmosphere pressure is at ideal, then there should be no penalty of any kind on agriculture, services, or population growth.

I can see the stats are there but I do not know if there any associated penalty for not being close to ideal.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Adjusting Terraforming and Suitability
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
Please use the (semi-)official Suggestions thread.  Steve using the official Suggestions and Bugs threads as filing cabinets, so he'll forget your issues if you put them in separate threads.  This is discussed in the "Where Should I Post?" FAQ thread.

On a side note, I made this argument (albeit not as eloquently as you did) about 10 years ago when Aurora was first starting out.  Steve didn't buy it :)

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:03:40 AM »
You are talking about the average temperature, parts of the planet will be more suitable than others, but I agree especially in regards to atmospheric pressure.
But he'll I have 20 billion people living on earth at almost 40 degrees, 10% oxygen and 5% co2 and they dont really care.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:16:05 PM »
You are talking about the average temperature, parts of the planet will be more suitable than others, but I agree especially in regards to atmospheric pressure.
But he'll I have 20 billion people living on earth at almost 40 degrees, 10% oxygen and 5% co2 and they dont really care.
Besides the weird atmospheric conditions, that sounds like a normal summertime in Vegas to me.