Author Topic: Mouse Wheel Fix for VB6  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Thineboot (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
Mouse Wheel Fix for VB6
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:40 AM »

This was mentioned every other year since wheels became usual. I'm not writing in VB6 but whenever a problem arises there will be a solution out there. And that's true for the long awaited Mouse Wheel within Aurora.

Microsoft has a solution, see method 1 (2012) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/837910
I've tried VB6ScrollwheelFix7 (2008) but it seems a little bit of code is missing on your side - just take a look Steve. http://www.joebott.com/vb6scrollwheel.htm
On Youtube a guy shows a working proof of concept (2015). Check his email if you're interested.
As I've seen MSFlexGrid... in Aurora this WheelHook (2006) may be a look worth. http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?388222-VB6-MouseWheel-with-Any-Control-(originally-just-MSFlexGrid-Scrolling)
... well, I still can't use links. How many posts do I have to write or how long have I to wait?

Thanks for your time checking out a solution.

Edit: 10th posting update
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:57:24 AM by Thineboot »

The following users thanked this post: Neceros

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Mouse Wheel Fix for VB6
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:36:19 AM »

. . .  well, I still can't use links.  How many posts do I have to write or how long have I to wait?

Thanks for your time checking out a solution.

I think 10 posts is the threshold.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

The following users thanked this post: Thineboot

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:41 AM »
What would you suggest the wheel be used for? Scrolling up or down large lists? Maybe hold control and scroll the window itself? That would be so handy.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »
As a new player I find myself trying to use the mouse wheel to scroll in and out  on the main system map. It just seems natural as so many other games do that.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
What would you suggest the wheel be used for? Scrolling up or down large lists? Maybe hold control and scroll the window itself? That would be so handy.

There are quite a few things where a wheel scroll would be nice if it were simply to add, things like research projects window, ground units, the F9 system view screen. It seems as though anywhere there is a drop down list such as the TG list in the F12 window, and anywhere with a standard windows scroll type bar then you can use the wheel to scroll. But any window or section that has a simply square between the scroll arrows requires you to either click and drag or use the arrows.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »
Scrolling up or down large lists?  That would be so handy.
You can already do that. On the dropdown boxes (conditional orders, task group selection, etc), hover your mouse over it and scroll with the wheel.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Thineboot (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »

Here is what M$ workaround offers
Mouse wheel support in Visual Basic 6. 0 is a function of the mouse driver.  The WM_MOUSEWHEEL message is sent to the Focus window when you rotate the mouse wheel.  Because the Visual Basic 6. 0 IDE does not have built-in support for scrolling by using the mouse wheel, the IDE ignores the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message.  However, IntelliPoint software version 4. 12 provides mouse wheel support and converts the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message to WM_SCROLL.  IntelliPoint software version 4. 9 and later versions do not have this feature.  Therefore, if you want to use the mouse wheel to scroll in the Visual Basic 6. 0 IDE, you must use IntelliPoint software version 4. 12.
That's for the IDE itself meaning for Steve himself.

The second one is a tiny tool which would need little support by Steve by adjusting its INI file
This is a small program that will make your mouse's scroll wheel work in various older programs - mainly Visual Basic 6's code window.  I noticed a lot of people coming to this site from Google looking for help with their mouse wheel.  So, I decided to fix it.
It is possible to support many programs by adjusting its INI file.  The included INI file includes support for:
  • VB6 Code Window
  • VB6 Resource Design Window
  • SourceSafe 6 Diff Viewer
  • Windiff
  • VBA Editor
It also supports horizontal scrolling if your mouse supports it, or by holding CTRL while scrolling vertically.
The scroll speed for each application can be adjusted by modifying the INI file.  It should be fairly self explanitory: just edit the values for VertMsgCount and HorzMsgCount for your program's settings.  Fractional values like 1. 6 and negative values work just fine! Keep in mind that the program simulates clicking the arrows on a scrollbar, so entering a value of 0. 1 will not give you more fine grained control.  Instead you'll just have to scroll more to get 1 scroll message sent.  But newer mice may work better with the fractional values.
He also has his email include, just in case.
I could try to dig out the necessary class names but Steve could do this much easier.  Also he could check it out by his own prior by using it with VB6 IDE.

At least scrolling all those lists would be really handy.