Author Topic: Weapons: decisions and usefulness  (Read 5417 times)

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
Weapons: decisions and usefulness
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Right, hello there guys I've recently began playing aurora and interestingly enough I grasp somewhat how to play, however I need some advice with weaponry.  In this new game I generated I've started out with a relatively large amount of particle torpedo stuff researched.  My question is should I keep going down this 'tech tree' or should I research missiles instead, as u know they're the most primarily used alongside lasers.  Also how effective is the torpedo?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Weapons: decisions and usefulness
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
Particle beams are a beam weapon.  They are going to have the same sort of range as a laser.  Their main advantage is that a small particle beam can have the same range as a large one, their damage is constant at all ranges so at long range when they hit they do more damage than a laser will.  The disadvantages are that you can not mount them in turrets so they make poor point defense, and they don't do as much damage as any of the other beam weapons when you are at really close range.

As for missiles they will far outrange any beam weapon (max beam weapon range is 1.4 million km at very high tech).  Missiles will tend to have ranges of 30-150 million km so you can see the range difference.  The disadvantage of missiles is their cost and having to keep your missile ships supplied with ammo.  You will need at least some missile tech for point defense against enemy missile attacks. 

Hope this helps you  with understanding the differences

Brian

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
I find missiles to be massively satisfying, but I'm a range lover myself so any time I can out-range the enemy I abuse it.  My 40m km range missiles will obliterate your 60k km range lasers before they get into spitting distance.  Missiles also don't need a powerplant, but they do need magazines.  But there's just something about seeing 2x Glider (x100) soaring elegantly across the void of space that just seems nice...

Offline MrAnderson

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »
When using missiles, you have to know that long term war with a solely missile based fleet can turn a bit "uglY", since missiles take a long time to build up in usable numbers, and your fleet will be using them up faster than you can make them.

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• s
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
So I should use some combination of the two? As for particle beams should I just ignore them or use them as a close support weapon, not point defense.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:27:28 AM »
Due to the fact that they don't suffer attenuation of their damage, particle beams are best used on ships that try and stay at max range to 'snipe' enemy ships. Mixing their use with missiles for long range and point defence would be a good idea yes, though usually on seperate ships.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
When using missiles, you have to know that long term war with a solely missile based fleet can turn a bit "uglY", since missiles take a long time to build up in usable numbers, and your fleet will be using them up faster than you can make them.
There is no such thing as a long-term war in missile combat.  =P

One salvo from a 6kton frigate with reduced size launchers and you can kiss an entire homeworld goodbye. 

Like you point out, its in the interest of the missile combatant to end wars quickly.  And missiles are *good* at that. 

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
There is no such thing as a long-term war in missile combat.  =P

One salvo from a 6kton frigate with reduced size launchers and you can kiss an entire homeworld goodbye. 

Like you point out, its in the interest of the missile combatant to end wars quickly.  And missiles are *good* at that. 
Only when facing inferior defenses. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
Unless the defender has parked some area defence bases in the system. I for example tend to create a moonbase (or let one or two of my bricks orbit it) with a ton of long ranged weapons to prevent these nuclear drive-bys. Sadly it takes a relative high techlevel for that.

The thing is that a rocket will end it quickly if the enemy has no decent area-defence.

Anyway back to particle weapons. Another disadvantage of particle weapons is that they are rather powerhungry so you need for the higher echelons of damage a even higher level of capactators and generators. For a sniping ship they are perfect but i would advise you to mount some Gausguns (in turrets) as additional short-range weapons.  
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• s
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
So what energy weapon had the longest range? Should I use it? Or should I just set up some missile tech? No rush as I'm happily turtling my system ATM.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
So what energy weapon had the longest range? Should I use it? Or should I just set up some missile tech? No rush as I'm happily turtling my system ATM.

It's a toss up between Lasers and Particle Beams. Lasers have the longest range, however their damage peters off to zero at their longest range. Particle beams have a slightly lower range, but they do full damage, so they have a longer effective range.

Basically a Particle Beam may only be hitting at 80-90% the range of a laser, but they will be doing 6, 7 times more damage at that range, so Particle Beams are generally thought of as the "Long Range" weapon.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
For real cloase combat you can use plasma caronades and i atleast use them sometimes as last line of defence against armed ordonance and those big guys that want to ram my outa space. Railguns make a good area defence. Infesting into some rockets isnt a bad idea thought if you need real long ranged weapons. 
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
It's a toss up between Lasers and Particle Beams. Lasers have the longest range, however their damage peters off to zero at their longest range. Particle beams have a slightly lower range, but they do full damage, so they have a longer effective range.

Basically a Particle Beam may only be hitting at 80-90% the range of a laser, but they will be doing 6, 7 times more damage at that range, so Particle Beams are generally thought of as the "Long Range" weapon.
Usable range is limited by beam fire control.  Weapons range ditermines damage.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
Usable range is limited by beam fire control.  Weapons range ditermines damage.

Yes, all beam weapons are also limited by beam fire control range, but since they share that trait a comparison between beam weapons should ignore the beam fire control.

As far as the range of the weapon being tied to the damage the weapon does, that is true for lasers, railguns, and plasma corronades. However that is not true for plasma beams, gauss cannons, mesons, or microwaves.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
True, some weapons have equal damage across all ranges.  But ignoring associated beam fire control range is a mistake since it dictates engagement ranges and hit probability.