Author Topic: Terraformers not working..  (Read 3003 times)

Offline PayneRamsey (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Terraformers not working..
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
I dropped off 8 terraformers on a planet. Checked add oxygen. Max amt .1. (original is .0016)looked at it a year later. no change in oxygen level. and the planet says annual production 0 atm

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Terraformers not working..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »
Are there any people on the planet?

Terraformers need 0.25m workers per installation IIRC (note terraformer units in orbit dont need workers)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline PayneRamsey (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
ooooh.....ok

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
IMO it's better to use terraforming ships. They don't need workers and are more mobile.
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
This is my solution.
Code: [Select]
Mosaic class Terraforming Station    758,000 tons     4305 Crew     11396.4 BP      TCS 15160  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-740     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 17     PPV 0
MSP 165    Max Repair 500 MSP
Habitation Capacity 50,000   
Terraformer: 20 module(s) producing 0.05 atm per annum

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
Perfect example.  It is substantially less fiddly to use a few giant terraformers than smaller, engineless terraformers.  i hate tugging things around sometimes.  I sort of wish there was a way to give an order to a base, and then a tug would just come to move it.

Offline Goron

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
I don't have the game in front of me now so I can't really test myself but. . .
I don't recall the "Terraforming Station" designation, how did you make that?
Is that actually a choice as a hull designation? And, I am assuming that is therefore factory built?
That said. . .  you included habitation modules, is that just a hack to get it classified as factory built?

My terraforming *ship* construction is entirely too slow, if I can pop out 20 module stations like that using factories I will be a very happy person.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
I don't have the game in front of me now so I can't really test myself but. . .
Is that actually a choice as a hull designation? And, I am assuming that is therefore factory built?
That said. . .  you included habitation modules, is that just a hack to get it classified as factory built?

My terraforming *ship* construction is entirely too slow, if I can pop out 20 module stations like that using factories I will be a very happy person.

You can create your own designations by clicking "New Hull" on the ship creation screen.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »

yeah, all shipyard.  stations are simply engineless ships.

Do remember that you can set your factories to produce the terraforming modules prior to ship construction.  Then, when you slap the station together, those are instantly put in place and the shipyard is just basically installing crew quarters and hull.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
It's always useful to have a dozen terraformers and miners and cargo units laying around pre-built, as these are very nice items that never refit with tech.  Upgrading your magazines makes your old ammo obsolete, but terraformers never go out of style.

Speaking of auto-tugging, I'd love to see the command possible, to order an engineless ship "request tow to X" and then have one of your idle, specially designated TF go fetch it.  You could make tugs that are assigned to a planet and/or sector, and automatically perform any hauling within their area.  Would make things SO much easier.  Kind of like civilian shipping lines, only it's a tug.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 01:22:59 AM »

Orbital Habitats allow you to build such designs in your factories instead of just in shipyards. I think it makes perfect sense to allow stations to be built in factories.

I really wish Steve would implement a mechanic for starbases.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:22:44 AM »
The issue (as I understand it) is that a colony may only exist on a body, and this is fairly well hard-coded.  A (maybe) simple fix would be to allow the player to generate a fake body.  Say, click a waypoint and chose "make starbase" would make it into a zero gravity, maximum cost body that cannot be terraformed.  A few simple roadblock chunks of code could probably be cobbled together quickly to forbid many normal colony operations like terraforming and dust.  But it'd probably give some unusual situations, like having 30 autominers sitting idle at a starbase.  Where are they sitting?  Just loitering in empty space?  Or is the starbase big enough to contain them all safely?  Lots of odd little nit-picky issues, mostly concerning size...

I'd love to be able to plant orbital habitats in deep space and let them run on their own.  That would be pretty glorious.  And, of course, all the other associated infrastructure with population.

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
This is my solution.
Mosaic class Terraforming Station    758,000 tons     4305 Crew     11396.4 BP      TCS 15160  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-740     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 17     PPV 0
MSP 165    Max Repair 500 MSP
Terraformer: 20 module(s) producing 0.05 atm per annum
Not any terraformer ship build so far in any of my few (3) games but... 758.000 tons ?  :o
It will take centuries to build a shipyard of this size. How can you get such hulls ?  ???

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
I do use these. 4 with their own tugs.

Genesis class Terraformer    1,509,500 tons     10250 Crew     27007 BP      TCS 30190  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-1172     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 11 MSP    Max Repair 500 MSP
Terraformer: 50 module(s) producing 0.15 atm per annum

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

@ Herode:  It's an orbital habitat
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:09:02 AM by Zed 6 »

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
Not any terraformer ship build so far in any of my few (3) games but... 758.000 tons ?  :o
It will take centuries to build a shipyard of this size. How can you get such hulls ?  ???

It only takes 2-3 decades of leaving a shipyard on continual expansion to reach that size. Less if you invest in the shipyard modification rate research.