Author Topic: Box Launchers and Ammo?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Girlinhat (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • G
Box Launchers and Ammo?
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
So I had an idea.  The main battle ships (destroyers, mainly) would be equipped with box launchers to add to their initial salvo, and then an array of conventional launchers for main combat.  To accommodate this, the logistics vessel going along with them would have enough hangar space to fit one destroyer, and they would 'hot bunk' the hangar space, each taking turns to reload their boxes.  It's a micromanagement nightmare, but something that could be thought about to make it less painful with some creative fleet designs, I'm sure.

Regardless, ammo becomes a concern.  The logistics ships would be a large magazine carrier, so it would store ammo for the fleet.  But I was also curious, if the logistics ship were stripped down, becoming just a flying hangar with no magazines, how would it handle reloads?  If the docked ship has ammo in its stores, will the hangar ship draw from the docked ship to reload the box launchers?  In other words, can a ship carry its own box launcher ammo, or does the ammo need to be on the loading platform?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Box Launchers and Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
I am pretty sure the missiles have to be in the hangar (i.e. the carrier).
Having said that, I never tried it the other way around. Actually, that idea would never have occured to me :)
Could even be considered a bug if it would work, IMO.
Hm, or it could fall into the "that´s so crazy, it might actually work" category.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:06:17 AM »
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm reasonably certain that all a hangar bay (or maintenance facility) does to box launchers is make their 'x seconds to reload' timer count down.  The missiles themselves should be able to come from anywhere - colliers, planetary stockpile, the mothership, magically-appearing-in-the-tube-from-SM-mode, whatever. 

So I think your idea should work quite well.  In fact, it seems like it would work just as well if with a regular old carrier whose usual strikegroups are the same tonnage as your destroyers - that way the usual wing of fighters can just launch and hang outside the ship while the destroyers take turns reloading.  (Of course, this would cause fuel concerns if you wanted to be underway while doing it, so just having a 'reload-box' logistics ship has its merits as well). 

Offline Girlinhat (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Ideally this would be done right after a battle, when the boxes are empty, and done with my super-long-range fleets.  The ships that are meant to survive 15+ years in long combat patrols and taking a week to reload their boxes is very acceptable.  I'm a fan of deep space fleets :P