Author Topic: Hangar Sensors, quicker cargo, replacement crew, abandoned governors, delays  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Mngwa (OP)

• Forced Labour Bard
  • Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
So a few questions that rose up in my head after some time of playing.    I tried to look for answers for these, but didn't find them.    (There's been plenty of questions that I have managed to find an answer for, though, so it hasn't been that terrible)

So first off, do sensors work for ships inside other ships? Passive and active?

Second off, should I be dividing my transports/cargo ships/assault ships to individual task groups to have the quickest load/unloading/combat drop times? Or is it possible to have orders done simultaneously in one task group?

And third, there's a mysterious command for adding replacement crew that I saw recently.    I have a hunch that it means occupying any spare berths with crew that will take over any casualties, but I would like a confirmation for that (again, couldn't find anything about this).    If what I said is right, can they be transferred between ships? Could I create a "supply ship" that, instead of ammo or supplies, recrews combat ships as soon as they lose crew?
EDIT: I forgot that a ship had taken casualties, so ignore this one.   A "crew ship" would be an interesting feature though. 

Fourth: What happens to civilian administrators in planets that get abandoned? Are they gone or do they get unassigned automatically?

And lastly, how exactly does the order delay work? I found some topics on this, but no conclusive answer.    I have tried to make it work, but I don't think I have been successful.    When do I type in the delay time? Before giving the order? After it? When will the delay time take effect?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:34:10 PM by Mngwa »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
So first off, do sensors work for ships inside other ships? Passive and active?
No.
Second off, should I be dividing my transports/cargo ships/assault ships to individual task groups to have the quickest load/unloading/combat drop times? Or is it possible to have orders done simultaneously in one task group?
It is better to have more of a type of transport in one group (cargo, troop, etc) but you do not want to put multiple types in the same group.
And third, there's a mysterious command for adding replacement crew that I saw recently.  I have a hunch that it means occupying any spare berths with crew that will take over any casualties, but I would like a confirmation for that (again, couldn't find anything about this).  If what I said is right, can they be transferred between ships? Could I create a "supply ship" that, instead of ammo or supplies, recrews combat ships as soon as they lose crew?
That is what Carriers are.
Fourth: What happens to civilian administrators in planets that get abandoned? Are they gone or do they get unassigned automatically?
Unassigned automatically (except for teams).
And lastly, how exactly does the order delay work? I found some topics on this, but no conclusive answer.  I have tried to make it work, but I don't think I have been successful.  When do I type in the delay time? Before giving the order? After it? When will the delay time take effect?
You type in the delay at the same time as the order. It is the time in seconds.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Mngwa (OP)

• Forced Labour Bard
  • Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Quote from: 83athom link=topic=8871.  msg95047#msg95047 date=1469542188
It is better to have more of a type of transport in one group (cargo, troop, etc) but you do not want to put multiple types in the same group. 
You mean not to have cargo and troop transport in the same group? I wasn't thinking about doing that.   But do you mean that unloading/loading cargo or ground units can happen at the same time by many ships in one task group? What about combat drops?

That is what Carriers are. 
I'm not sure this answers the question.   Spare berths are used in carriers, I know.   But what does the replacement crew order have to do with them?
EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized that I had forgotten a ship that had taken casualties.  That's what it was. . .

You type in the delay at the same time as the order.   It is the time in seconds. 
I still want to make sure: Is the order delay for before the order or after it? For example, if I give an order to move somewhere with an order delay typed in, will the fleet first wait the order delay and then move, or do they move first and then wait before the next order?
The order delay doesn't reset after giving an order, so I assume I have to clear it myself before giving another order in case I don't want more delays?

Thank you for the answers.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:28:09 PM by Mngwa »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
You mean not to have cargo and troop transport in the same group? I wasn't thinking about doing that.   But do you mean that unloading/loading cargo or ground units can happen at the same time by many ships in one task group? What about combat drops?
Orders are sequential in nature, so them being in the same group makes it so you cannot do them at the same time. Combat drops are faster than normal troop unloading, but is not instantaneous.
I still want to make sure: Is the order delay for before the order or after it? For example, if I give an order to move somewhere with an order delay typed in, will the fleet first wait the order delay and then move, or do they move first and then wait before the next order?
Before.
The order delay doesn't reset after giving an order, so I assume I have to clear it myself before giving another order in case I don't want more delays?
Yes.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Mngwa

Offline Mngwa (OP)

• Forced Labour Bard
  • Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Quote from: 83athom link=topic=8871. msg95065#msg95065 date=1469567254
Orders are sequential in nature, so them being in the same group makes it so you cannot do them at the same time.  Combat drops are faster than normal troop unloading, but is not instantaneous.
One last question:
What about the "Unload all" commands? Those commands should affect every ship in the fleet and requires only one order for it, so do they get the job done quicker than unloading one at a time?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
It shouldn't make any difference, unload time is based on the amount of cargo divided by the cargo handling bonus. Task group officers and colony leaders with logistics bonus add to this, as does having commercial spaceports at the colony in question. No matter how many ships are in a task group they will load and unload simultaneously rather than queueing up and taking turns.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha