Author Topic: Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Caesar (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »
Code: [Select]
Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base    555550 tons     8180 Crew     17116.6 BP      TCS 11111  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-601     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 19 MSP    Max Repair 60 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 100 modules producing 7200000 litres per annum

Fuel Capacity 50,000,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

So I've built this lil' buddy, and it's proving quite.. capable to provide my entire economy with fuel on its own.

I managed to get the Wyrm MK II into orbit of a gas giant with ten million tons of Sorium, accessibility 0.9, using a tow ship. (I only later found out that it doesn't matter how many tows you use, it won't get faster.)

Note: I did not cheat to build it or get it in orbit.

What do you think?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:37:18 AM »
I would have had enough maintenance capacity to fix any failures. Other than that looks reasonable, the fuel tanks fill up roughtly every 7 years I see; what is your strategy for shipping the fuel out?
Welchbloke

Offline Caesar (OP)

• C
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »
I've got a small fleet of tankers that will unload it when it filled. I was too lazy to calculate a continuous shipping order.

Maintenance is no problem, though. It's a civilian design!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I would have had enough maintenance capacity to fix any failures. Other than that looks reasonable, the fuel tanks fill up roughtly every 7 years I see; what is your strategy for shipping the fuel out?

It's a commercial ship.  Only requires the minimum engineering space for construction.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:43:25 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"

It's a commercial ship.  Only requires the minimum engineering space for construction.
Good point; too many different games on the go and I got confused  :oops:
Welchbloke

Offline Caesar (OP)

• C
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
I've got a question related to this design..

I'm using a tug to haul a second one over to a gas giant, but it is incredibly slow. It also doesn't work to assign more tugs to the Wyrm. Would it work to instead assign a new tug to the one that is tugging the Wyrm, and then a new one to that one?

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
No, only one tug per cargo has any effect.

Its not surprising your tug will move like a snail given how big your base is. If your Tug is say 50,000tons, its still going to cut its speed to under 10%.

The solution is a smaller base, or a bigger tug.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
Quote from: "Caesar"
Code: [Select]
Wyrm MK II class Fuel Harvester Base    555550 tons     8180 Crew     17116.6 BP      TCS 11111  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-601     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 19 MSP    Max Repair 60 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 100 modules producing 7200000 litres per annum

Fuel Capacity 50,000,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

So I've built this lil' buddy, and it's proving quite.. capable to provide my entire economy with fuel on its own.

I managed to get the Wyrm MK II into orbit of a gas giant with ten million tons of Sorium, accessibility 0.9, using a tow ship. (I only later found out that it doesn't matter how many tows you use, it won't get faster.)

Note: I did not cheat to build it or get it in orbit.

What do you think?

The only criticism I have of this is that it makes a really, really juicy target for someone that gets into the system.  That is a huge economic investment that could go down in flames really quickly once it comes under fire.

Kurt

Offline Caesar (OP)

• C
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
Yes, that's true. I only use those kinds of things in completely safe sectors. That, and I'll have to build platforms to guard the system's Jump Points.

Perhaps I should give it another layer of armor.

On the bright side: It's huge amount of sorium harversters make it almost impossible to hit something critical!

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Let's see, single missile, 50 warhead.... 13 internal damage, I think. I'd say, a single salvo might be enough.
Like, 10 missiles?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"

No, that's definitely wrong.  Either it does not require maintenance, in which case it has too many engineering spaces, or it does require maintenance, in which case it has too few.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "the minimum engineering space for construction."  If you're referring to the one automatically added (along with bridge & crew quarters & fuel tank) when you click the 'New' button, it's not mandatory - you can remove it if you're building a maintenance-free commercial ship.  For that matter, you can remove any of the other components added automatically - it's just a convenience feature.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Let's see, single missile, 50 warhead.... 13 internal damage, I think. I'd say, a single salvo might be enough.
Like, 10 missiles?

So wasteful!

One full-size gauss cannon,  an hour of continuous firing . . . 720 damage versus 600 armour should do it.  I'd kill it with a single FAC (or maybe a squadron of six and do it in ten to twelve minutes).  Can your defenders spot me and react in time?

Offline Caesar (OP)

• C
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »
Probably not, because they all got blown up in offensive action. Anyways, I don't really fear their destruction, and if they do get destroyed..
My empire is an industrial Juggernaut (compared to anything I've ever had before). Those are pretty cheap to produce.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
I would build multiple smaller ones just because it is quicker to build them . Nothing wrong with no defenses as any civilian ships are doomed if warships can reach weapons range of them and heavy armour would just be a waste of resources

Offline Caesar (OP)

• C
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
I figured that'd be easier to do as well, but I love to make 'em big 'nd heavy.

I also wanted to test my tugs. Last thing is that I want it to be able to function as a stationary refuel point for any fleet that'd pass its system.