Author Topic: How Do I Patch to the Latest Version?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
How Do I Patch to the Latest Version?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:32 PM »
I am running Version 4.75.  The link to Patch400B.zip is a dead end.  What is the procedure to patch from 4.75 to the current version?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How Do I Patch to the Latest Version?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
I am running Version 4.75.  The link to Patch400B.zip is a dead end.  What is the procedure to patch from 4.75 to the current version?

Have you been getting Aurora from the wiki?  If so, you should read Steve's Announcement.  The correct place to get it is from the Installation board - you need to get 4.9 for the Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb and then 4.91 for the new Aurora.exe.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:42:20 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Have you been getting Aurora from the wiki?  If so, you should read Steve's Announcement.  The correct place to get it is from the Installation board - you need to get 4.9 for the Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb and then 4.91 for the new Aurora.exe.

John

All of the wiki links redirect to the installation forum now :)

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
You might want to change the name of the "Installation" forum to something like "Installing the Game".  

I found out about Aurora from a thread on 4x games at the wargamer.com site.  That thread gave instructions on how to install Version 4.75.  When I got here, I found the files in the Downloads section and at the Wiki site.  Both places allow one to install 4.75, but leave one confused as to how to patch.  Unfortunately, for you, Installation happens to be a label for a game concept.  There is a thread on "Installations" in the "Academy" forum.  

I hope this explains why some people may be confused.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
You might want to change the name of the "Installation" forum to something like "Installing the Game".  

I found out about Aurora from a thread on 4x games at the wargamer.com site.  That thread gave instructions on how to install Version 4.75.  When I got here, I found the files in the Downloads section and at the Wiki site.  Both places allow one to install 4.75, but leave one confused as to how to patch.  Unfortunately, for you, Installation happens to be a label for a game concept.  There is a thread on "Installations" in the "Academy" forum.  

I hope this explains why some people may be confused.

The forum description does say "Install files for Aurora". And for a new player, they would not necessarily know that "installation" is a game concept also.

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
The forum description does say "Install files for Aurora". And for a new player, they would not necessarily know that "installation" is a game concept also.
Fair enough.  But when somebody first comes to the index page, before they have created a user name, that person can see Downloads and the Wiki link, but that person cannot see the Installation forum.  You can see Installation only after you have logged in, but you may not be looking for it at that point.  

The issue may be moot now that the Wiki download link points to the Installation forum.  You might want to change the Download section to point to that forum as well.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
I did change the Download link. :)