Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 18055 times)

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
First impressions
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
I have a few questions, the rolling mechanic, is the idea to roll less than or equal to the score to hit/lock on etc? Because the formula doesn't make sense else. I'll undoubtedly have more question later.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:35 AM »
I have a few questions, the rolling mechanic, is the idea to roll less than or equal to the score to hit/lock on etc? Because the formula doesn't make sense else. I'll undoubtedly have more question later.

That is correct. Unless stated otherwise, all rolls against a target value are less than or equal to. Off the top of my head though, I cannot think of any that work the opposite way. And of course, rolls on a table.

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
The pdf jumps from pg 52 to 88 and so am missing the campaign rules, is this intentional?

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:19:51 AM »
The sensor locking seems weird, I set up a test round the sample cruiser vs itself, and when locking on the formula says (signature(365) - resolution(40) + ecm(0) + acquisition(? I don't get what you mean do I just ad 40 or is it 40% of something) + crew grade(0 average) ) gives around 325, does that mean autolock or something?

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:33:25 AM »
Yet another question :P when you roll a structure result for damage allocation how much structure do you destroy?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
Yet another question :P when you roll a structure result for damage allocation how much structure do you destroy?

That's an easy one. You roll on the damage allocation once per point. So 6 internal points would be 6 rolls.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
The sensor locking seems weird, I set up a test round the sample cruiser vs itself, and when locking on the formula says (signature(365) - resolution(40) + ecm(0) + acquisition(? I don't get what you mean do I just ad 40 or is it 40% of something) + crew grade(0 average) ) gives around 325, does that mean autolock or something?

That is how the formula works. I may have to tweak the resolutions a bit.

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
I know but when you roll a structure result as one internal hit how much structure out of the 1500 or so do you destroy?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
I know but when you roll a structure result as one internal hit how much structure out of the 1500 or so do you destroy?

Currently 1 for 1.

Offline alanwebber

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »
Hi Erik

I've downloaded the playtest rules and read them through quickly once. I now intend a slower, more detailed perusal to make sure I've not missed any references in the rules to the areas I'm unclear on.

However my first comments are as follows:-

I feel there is a desperate need for some comprehensive examples of play for movement, combat (including missiles) and ground combat. I'm sure this would resolve some of the unclear areas.

On page 1 of combat it says that the to hit number should be exceeded to get a hit - I'm assuming this should be lower than.

On locking on it says that there is a modifier for crew grade but I can't find what that value is - perhaps it could be added to the crew grade table along with the critical hit modifier.

Please tell me what the m stands for in sensor properties.

Okay, back to reading the rules again.

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
Hi Erik

I've downloaded the playtest rules and read them through quickly once. I now intend a slower, more detailed perusal to make sure I've not missed any references in the rules to the areas I'm unclear on.

However my first comments are as follows:-

I feel there is a desperate need for some comprehensive examples of play for movement, combat (including missiles) and ground combat. I'm sure this would resolve some of the unclear areas.
That's doable. I'll write some up.

On page 1 of combat it says that the to hit number should be exceeded to get a hit - I'm assuming this should be lower than.
I'll double check that, but you are right. It should be lower.

On locking on it says that there is a modifier for crew grade but I can't find what that value is - perhaps it could be added to the crew grade table along with the critical hit modifier.
It's the same modifier as to-hit.

Please tell me what the m stands for in sensor properties.

Okay, back to reading the rules again.

Regards

Alan
m = meters

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »
Hi Erik

A few more questions:-

Page 6 - compensator rating. I'm a bit confused over the concept which may relate to my understanding of engine power requirements. Looking at your sample ships, the military ships have a thrust of 8. Power requirements for a basic nuclear torch engine is 6x10 per thrust which for the destroyer (1349 tons) is 120 power per thrust. For a thrust of 8, this means a power requirement of 960 power. The ship has a total power of 140. I suspect I'm misreading something. What is the rating of a compensator. Can you define it as required by paying with power e.g. thrust of 8 with prototype compensators would require 32 power? I also see that, after damage, you are limited to a speed of 4. How do you define speed in a multi-vector system?

Page 7 says that there are hit modifiers for ECM / Sensors - does this mean for target acquisition as I can't find any reference to this under the hit part of the rules.

Page 9 refers to table 2.10 for weapons fire (doesn't exist).

Page 11 - reference to table 2.6 for power plants and 2.9 for compensator damage.

Page 19 - plasma missiles - how is the 5 point reduction in damage allocated where there are multiple entries in damage type? Also, HTK used for both system damage and missile destruction. The former is called HP earlier in the rules.

Page 22 - HTK data missing for all sizes above 20 cm.

Page 38 - A definition of 1AU would be helpful for the non-astrophysicists amongst us.

An example of the warp anchor in action might be helpful.

A couple of suggestions.

For vector consolidation there are couple of other "tricks" to use. If you have positive vectors on three non adjacent ones e.g. at 000, 120 and 240, reduce all of them by the lowest value.
If you have positive vectors on 3 adjacent ones, reduce the two outer ones by the lowest figure and increase the middle one by this amount.

A map of your campaign area would be very helpful to help a new palyer plan a game along with system details. Perhaps this could be a future product with a history of the battles in the war similar to "Stars at War" which I still dig out and read every now and again.

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »
Hi again

A quick question on damage allocation. If a hit is obtained, do you apply damage equal to the HTK for the system and reduce the damage to be allocated accordingly and what happens if you have insufficient damage points left to destroy the system?

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:14 AM »
Hi again

A quick question on damage allocation. If a hit is obtained, do you apply damage equal to the HTK for the system and reduce the damage to be allocated accordingly and what happens if you have insufficient damage points left to destroy the system?

Regards

Alan
You are correct on the basic mechanism.  If there is not enough damage left to reach the HTK amount then you have a chance of knocking out the system based on how much damage you did do.  Formula is (damage done/htk) so it is fairly straight forward.  This is important for meson users as they only do 1 point of damage.  If you are fighting a meson user it pays to think of ways to raise the htk of systems.  A good example is to group weapons in turrets as they sum the htk of the individual weapons in the turret.  Larger power plants are also a good idea, ect. 

Hope this helps

Brian

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
Hi again

Regards

Alan

It is considered damaged and can absorb further hits later.