Author Topic: gravity range, size of planet, avilable colonies  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
gravity range, size of planet, avilable colonies
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
I've started a game with a fairly low gravity home planet, and my range of acceptable gravities is from .1 to .9... and now I can hardly find a system that doesn't have several possible colonies, a great many of them at 2.0 colony cost (and I set my temperature range quite small).

Cold planets with low gravity... they are everywhere.  There seems to be no penalty for colonizing small planets (even chunks), so all I have to do is add a bit of oxygen and a bit of greenhouse/anti-greenhouse gas, and I've got colonies EVERYWHERE.

That seems... unbalanced.  Are there plans to change this?  Currently, it just seems to make it MUCH easier to colonize, at no penalty.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
Re: gravity range, size of planet, avilable colonies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
Maybe increase the chance that Gas Giants (and hence all their moons) will be close to the star? That would at least make the likelihood of small hot colonies more comparable to the odds of small cold colonies.

A lot of the Exoplanets we've discovered so far are gas supergiants close to their stars, so we know that they exist. (Although to be fair those are the easiest Exoplanets to spot, they could be pretty rare but that would still be the majority of what we'd have found so far.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
One could balance this, i suppose, by making it a low gravity\high pressure race.  2-10 atmosphere range.  So all planets but require EXTENSIVE terraforming.

If you want to make a race of asteroid-clingers who cant live on large planets, thats totally fine, you just have to be strict about it.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
If you want to make a race of asteroid-clingers who cant live on large planets, thats totally fine, you just have to be strict about it.

Speaking of not living on large planets, part of the reason you have a huge amount of available planets is that the .1 to .9 range is pretty large. Maybe if you limited your species to .1 - .4 you'd have a more reasonable number of planets available to you. Looking at it another way, while a .8g spread isn't large, your maximum g is 9 times that of your minimum g, where as I believe the default minimum is .3, so the max is only 3.33 times as large as the minimum level.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »
That seems... unbalanced.  Are there plans to change this?  Currently, it just seems to make it MUCH easier to colonize, at no penalty.

It is.  Nope.  Yes it does.

Though beware that one of the fastest ways to kill the program is to have a massive number of populations.  The processing time involved can rapidly scale to 5-10 minutes per time increment.

Earth is a warmer, heavier planet than is average for the planetary-generation routines Aurora uses.  The biggest boost you can give a species is a wider temp & gravity tolerance; it opens up massive amounts of real estate.

The problem arises because the 'acceptable gravity' calculation is a straight plus-or-minus X gravities, whereas it should be plus-or-minus some % of your starting gravity.  The easiest fix is to reset your species base Gravity tolerance to .88 or so.  That should leave your homeworld at 0.0 but cut down on the number of low G sites.  Alternatively, change your gravity tolerance to plus-or-minus .18 G instead of .4 G.

(This is why I always pick a 1.0 to 2.0 G planet for my homeworld, terraforming as necessary for Oxy or Methane.)

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Earth is a warmer, heavier planet than is average for the planetary-generation routines Aurora uses.  The biggest boost you can give a species is a wider temp & gravity tolerance; it opens up massive amounts of real estate.

The problem arises because the 'acceptable gravity' calculation is a straight plus-or-minus X gravities, whereas it should be plus-or-minus some % of your starting gravity.  The easiest fix is to reset your species base Gravity tolerance to .88 or so.  That should leave your homeworld at 0.0 but cut down on the number of low G sites.  Alternatively, change your gravity tolerance to plus-or-minus .18 G instead of .4 G.

(This is why I always pick a 1.0 to 2.0 G planet for my homeworld, terraforming as necessary for Oxy or Methane.)

Actually, I set my temperature range quite small (+/- 20 degrees), and my gravity range is also only SLIGHTLY greater than generic human (which is plus or minus .7 G, or 70% - mine is only +/- .4 G, or about +/- 73%).

Basically, it's abusing the fact that there is no actual game effect of planetary size on population or atmosphere.  That probably needs to change.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
I've been thinking about that, the population density thing, and I have an idea.  What if there was a 'max' population per km^2 of surface area of a body, and to populate beyond that required a (very small amount) of infrastructure?  For large planets like Earth it would be a fairly high number, say 10 billion, but for small moons it could be much lower - say 100-200 million. Luna, for example, has about 7.5% of Earth's surface area (So ~750 million) , while Mars has 28% (~2.8 billion). So we're talking really huge populations by normal game standards.  And the required infrastructure should be small enough that the natural (via trade goods) production of a world of that size should be enough to keep up with it - you just won't be exporting infrastructure from those planets to colonies any more, as they need it to support their own growth beyond what the planet can normally handle.

The problem is that I think it isn't possible in the current infrastructure requirement system to have a certain amount of population 'excluded' from colony cost requirements.  You want the population up to the 'limit' to have a colony cost of 0 and from there onwards you want about an 0.1 or so to represent 'colonising' previously uninhabitable areas of the world, or raising habitation density, or whatever.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:01:02 AM »
Put a billion infrastructure on a high pop world to up the max pop

BAM

hive world.

From there, one could start putting in farming worlds and forge worlds and resource worlds and what not

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:16:34 AM »
Actually the game can explude some population from infrastructures requirement. It does so with orbital habitat.

And the limit of population could be much lower than that, after all, we're already exceeding earth's natural ressources, and we're only 7 billions.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »
And the limit of population could be much lower than that, after all, we're already exceeding earth's natural ressources, and we're only 7 billions.
The problem with that line of thinking is that the amound of humans the Earth can hold continuously changes based on our technology. 600 years ago there were around 350 million of us and we were hard-pressed to gather and manage Earth's natural resources well enough to keep us all alive.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
Yep, but we could solve that by having a tech increasing the amount of population that can be supported without infrastructures. And when you think of it, a lot of it is infrastructure-related. Earth support 7 billions peoples, but we have a lot of infrastructures in the form of irrigation, sewage systems and plants, etc etc