Author Topic: Unclear about the relationship between missile MSP/Tons/Size/Capacity  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
I have a nice long-range, two-stage missile for PDFs I need a launcher for. The missile is 10.00 MSP (25.000 Tons). It is extremely unclear on the missile launcher creation screen what 'Size' means. Do I need a size 10 launcher to correspond to a 10.00 MSP? Do I need a size 25 launcher to correspond to a 25-ton missile? Is the correspondence yet something else that has completely eluded me?

I am also unsure as to what to calculate with regard to magazine capacity. Here it refers to 'capacity' with a number. What do I divide the capacity's number by to determine it's holding capacity for a given missile (MSP? Tons?)? Say I want my magazine to hold 100 of the above missiles. How much capacity would the magazine need?

Also, can I have 100 launchers all draw from a single magazine?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Unclear about the relationship between missile MSP/Tons/Size/Capacity
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »
1 MSP is equal to 2.5 tons
1HS (Hull Size) = 50 tons
20 MSP = 1 HS

A size 1 launcher can at maximum launch a size 1 missile which is the same as 1 MSP. Just forget about the tonnage in regards to missiles.

The magazine on a ship is always universal and all launchers can draw missiles from them (except for box-launchers).

One thing I sometimes do is missile destroyers/cruisers with both ASM and AMM launchers as they can draw from the same magazines. This make it more dynamic in throw weight based on what missiles I carry in the magazines as I can change the load of the missiles to be more of one type or the other. It also is faster and cheaper to refit the ship between having more or less launcher of either type and do so fast if necessary, especially if the launcher components are available.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:32:31 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Bluebreaker

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:02:46 AM »
I have a nice long-range, two-stage missile for PDFs I need a launcher for. The missile is 10.00 MSP (25.000 Tons). It is extremely unclear on the missile launcher creation screen what 'Size' means. Do I need a size 10 launcher to correspond to a 10.00 MSP? Do I need a size 25 launcher to correspond to a 25-ton missile? Is the correspondence yet something else that has completely eluded me?
Missile launcher size should be equal or larger to missile size (MSP)

I am also unsure as to what to calculate with regard to magazine capacity. Here it refers to 'capacity' with a number. What do I divide the capacity's number by to determine it's holding capacity for a given missile (MSP? Tons?)? Say I want my magazine to hold 100 of the above missiles. How much capacity would the magazine need?
Capacity divided by MSP.

Also, can I have 100 launchers all draw from a single magazine?
Yes, as many as you want.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
One last clarification:

MSP is an acronym for both Missile Size Points and Maintenance Supply Points. You can usually tell which meaning people intend by context.