Author Topic: Cargo Loading and unloading problems  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
Cargo Loading and unloading problems
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
I dont know if this is a bug or I got something screwed up.  since I failed on my last bug attempted Id like some help before reporting it.    basically my cargo ships will not repeat cargo loading orders and are now in fact having unloading issues.

I have maintenance modules sitting on Mars that I want to get to earth,  I think some 40 of em.  so I set up the whole route, go to mars pick up module go to earth drop off.  only now it will go to mars pick it up, then go to earth and give me an error saying it cannot complete unload please reschedual.  I can go in and make it unload now but it clears all the loading unloading settings.   anyone know whats up? is this a bug or did I screw up somehow?

EDIT- I tried doing it without the cycle orders button checked too, instead using the copy function to copy paste the same oder about 9 times.   this time I hit an error on the pickup portion rather than the drop off, theres still modules for it to move too
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:03:41 PM by Detjen »

Offline Silfir

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
Re: Cargo Loading and unloading problems
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:55 AM »
Did you confuse maintenance modules with maintenance facilities somewhere along the way? If the ship were ordered to pick up modules when there are only facilities, or to drop off facilities when it's loaded modules and stuff along those lines, you'd get those kinds of error messages, right?

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
I had the same problem when trying to automate loading/unloading of ship components. It didn't work, while the manual order worked fine. I think the "cycle move" checkbox doesn't work for ship components.

Keapon Laffin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:12:24 AM »
I got the same problem and I think it's serious.
I setup 4 Load Automated Mines. . ship has exactly enuff space for 4. . it loads all 4 but gives the message failed to load. . which wipes out whatever commands I have queued after. 
Same with unloading. . It'll unload all 4 but give the error.
So I can't automate/cycle.
I think there is something in the code that is out of order.  Like it checks to see if there is enuff space to load -after- is already did the load command. 

Keapon Laffin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
And did a check. . Added a small cargo hold to the design. . so has slightly more than needed for 4 AutoMines.  4x Load Auto Mines. . it loads 4. 2 AutoMines, shows Available Cargo as -5000.  Still shows error loading and unloading.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
There is a display issue with cargo capacity, I've noticed sometimes it shows negative capacity but that wasn't causing me any problems. Try using the standard "load auto mines" order rather than specifying a quantity, you should be fine as nobody else is having problems with loading.
I'm curious, which version are you using?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Keapon Laffin

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Am using the latest.  I thought Load Automine, or Load Mass Driver, or Unload X just did 1 but it seems to do them all.  Which is a real pain when I'm tryin to give every major mining colony just 1 mass driver.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
Try loading a single mass driver, then load auto mines, then unload all onto the colonies. That's what I usually do.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
First, do not try to get fancy and use more complicated orders than you have to.  It's not that aurora can't handle it, it's more of a human error thing.  Aurora uses pretty convoluted controls in some places, and it's easy to screw up and issue nonsensical orders.  I suspect you're mixing something up along the way, issuing an impossible order at some point.

Second, MarcAFK, I recommend loading issuing the load mass driver order last, so you can easily use the "repeat orders" function.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
First, do not try to get fancy and use more complicated orders than you have to.  It's not that aurora can't handle it, it's more of a human error thing.  Aurora uses pretty convoluted controls in some places, and it's easy to screw up and issue nonsensical orders.  I suspect you're mixing something up along the way, issuing an impossible order at some point.

Second, MarcAFK, I recommend loading issuing the load mass driver order last, so you can easily use the "repeat orders" function.

If you load the mass driver last, you run the risk of not having enough room for it.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
I usually build my freighters just large enough for 1 installation; that's a single standard cargo hold.  Keeps them from getting gigantic, meaning I don't need huge shipyards to build them.  So my orders look like so:

load auto mine at Earth
unload auto mine at (colony)
refuel at Earth

And I set them to repeat however many times it takes to deliver the desired number of mines.  Then I throw in one set for delivering a mass driver.

I guess my way isn't so great if you use freighters large enough to carry multiple installations; but I've done it this way so long I just never really considered any other option.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:26 AM »
I usually build my freighters just large enough for 1 installation; that's a single standard cargo hold.  Keeps them from getting gigantic, meaning I don't need huge shipyards to build them.  So my orders look like so:

load auto mine at Earth
unload auto mine at (colony)
refuel at Earth

And I set them to repeat however many times it takes to deliver the desired number of mines.  Then I throw in one set for delivering a mass driver.

I guess my way isn't so great if you use freighters large enough to carry multiple installations; but I've done it this way so long I just never really considered any other option.

That method works fine too for the larger freighters, it just means first you need to do quick math of working out how many installations each can carry, multiply it by the number of ships in the TG and divide the total number of installations required by the result.  But I use the exact same method for 6.42 and have never had any loading problems so far.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »
I had one loading glitch that I know of:
I had 2 gate construction modules, 1 ordinance factory and several research labs to load.

I gave one of my standard groups (with 60,000 cargo capacity) the order to load the modules, the ordinance factory and reserach lab components.

I got an error message and saw that the group had loaded the 2 modules and 0.4 ordinance factory.  The error was on loading the reaserach lab.
The next group came in and had orders to load the ordinance factory and then research lab components.  It loaded 1 ordinance factory and 0.07 lab components.

So it seems there is a glitch in how that is handled.

I also use the typical "micromanagement" style on loading thing.  I know how much my ships can carry and usually give it specific orders to do load up what I want.  What borked up the above was I had no idea how big the modules were.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »
I don't see a bug there, ordnance factories and gate construction modules are 25,000 tons, in the first instance 2 gate modules takes 50,000, the remaining 10k is .4 ordnance factories, in the second instance remembering research labs are 500,000 tons your one ordnance factory requires 25k, tge remaining 35k being exactly .07 research labs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:39:53 AM by MarcAFK »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
The first group loaded 0.4 ordinance factory and the second group loaded 1 ordinance factory. 

Rosetta had only 1 ordinance factory present.  So the bug is that I now have 1.4 ordinance factories being shipped to earth.  I'll correct this with SM mode when they are offloaded.