Author Topic: Breakaway Anniversary  (Read 2425 times)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Breakaway Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
BTW, IMHO this was one of the incredible things about B5 - since he had the 5-year story arc outlined from day 1, he didn't run out of plot a year and a half into the series as happened to e.g. BSG.

John
I agree, B5 is still one of my favourite Sci Fi series, I have all the series on DVD; however, I did find season 5 a bit disjointed.

That's because JMS didn't know there would be a season 5.  He went through most of season 4 thinking that would be the last season.  So he aimed that year to wrap things up.  Then he found out that he had his 5th season.  So he created a 5th season from plot threads that had to be cut out of of the 4/5 merge and side plots that weren't going to be in the series.

[Edit:  I spent 5 years as one of the founders and the program director for AgamemCon, so I know a bit about B5]
I did know that but I guess that kowing it intellectually only goes so far in off setting my disappointment in teh series.  It's funny I'll happily pull out a random episode from Season 2,3 or 4 and, on occassion, season 1, but, the last time I tried to watch Season 5 in order, I just couldn't get into it. Oh well, just my tastes I guess.
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »
You folks are making me want to watch the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War with all this talk about BSG! Seasons 3 and 4 would cover it, don't ya think?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
You folks are making me want to watch the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War with all this talk about BSG! Seasons 3 and 4 would cover it, don't ya think?
Pretty much.  Plenty of build up in the first 2 Seasons but the core of the story is in 3&4. Enjoy  :oops: ).
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
Pretty much.  Plenty of build up in the first 2 Seasons but the core of the story is in 3&4. Enjoy  :oops: ).

Think I have most of Season 4 (although it may be 5) on VHS back at the family home in the UK. Some are recorded from the TV and some are proper boxed episodes bought in a pawn shop (Cash Converters).

I also think that I have the Crusade prequel film and/or the Earth-Mimbari war film.

Which gets me onto the subject of Crusade. Such potential, ruined by the stupid music they played when there was a fight! They finally saw the light and made proper 'fight' scenes but by then it was a lost cause :|

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »
I also think that I have the Crusade prequel film and/or the Earth-Mimbari war film.

Which gets me onto the subject of Crusade. Such potential, ruined by the stupid music they played when there was a fight! They finally saw the light and made proper 'fight' scenes but by then it was a lost cause :|
I agree about Crusade, bags of potential wasted.  I never saw the Rangers film/pilot episode which is probably just as well.
Welchbloke

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
While you are at it you could watch the first 2 TV films as well.  I particularly like the Inter-dimensional gate film (can't rmember the name though  :wink:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
I did know that but I guess that kowing it intellectually only goes so far in off setting my disappointment in teh series.  It's funny I'll happily pull out a random episode from Season 2,3 or 4 and, on occassion, season 1, but, the last time I tried to watch Season 5 in order, I just couldn't get into it. Oh well, just my tastes I guess.

I don't particularly care for season 5 myself.  Though Season 5 was still the best SF on the air at the time.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"

I don't particularly care for season 5 myself.  Though Season 5 was still the best SF on the air at the time.
True, it was a pretty fallow time for good Sci Fi.
Welchbloke

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »
speaking of aniversaries, happy 3rd birthday board (last week)
Slàinte,

Mike