New Players > FAQ

Can missiles fire on passively detected contacts?

(1/2) > >>

dlathro1:
Hi,

I'm thinking about designing a stealth ship to wreak havoc on enemy supply lines and support ships.

If the stealth ship uses active sensors, it will not be very stealthy, so I am planning to rely heavily on passive sensors.

My question is: can missiles be launched at passively detected contacts (i.e. EM and Thermal) and use active sensors on the missiles to independently acquire and track the target?

Thanks.

brondi00:
Yes and no. 

It was possible in vb6 to fire at a waypoint and have the sensor on the missile pick up and track.

This is broken as far as I can tell in this version of c#.  So for now you must have an active track.

I did this exact thing you are asking about regularly in vb6 but can't seem to get it to work now.

Barkhorn:
It's a known bug.

Gabrote42:
Workaround(?): Have a minuscule fighter (since mines be broken) with an active. You can leave it there, get away and then get the actives to fire. Dunno if that's feasible though. And you might be detected in thermals

nuclearslurpee:

--- Quote from: Gabrote42 on February 05, 2021, 08:18:43 AM ---Workaround(?): Have a minuscule fighter (since mines be broken) with an active. You can leave it there, get away and then get the actives to fire. Dunno if that's feasible though. And you might be detected in thermals

--- End quote ---

The problem with this would be that a fighter will blow up from maint failures pretty quickly. Would work fine as a nasty surprise when retreating from a powerful enemy (Invaders or something) that can be expected to not be far behind, but wouldn't work well as a replacement for a permanent minefield.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version