Author Topic: Unrest and Ground Forces  (Read 1732 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Unrest and Ground Forces
« on: June 12, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
So...

I have a friend who has a problem with his colony on Mars. There about 1.5b colonists on Mars and they are protected by about 500k ton worth of ground troops. Yet they are still complaining about lack of military protection and unrest is rising.

What is a reasonable number for the amount of ground troops my friend needs to keep his colony happy? 500k tons of troops seems like a lot for only 1.5b (but maybe not?).
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Re: Unrest and Ground Forces
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »
Seems I've found the answer... ground troops apparently do not cause reduction in unrest except by use of force. Ship PPV is apparently the critical parameter for reducing unrest peacefully.

Time to ramp up shipyard production.

Here's the wiki article for anyone else who may be confused by this system:

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Unrest

The following users thanked this post: Vastrat

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »
Seems I've found the answer... ground troops apparently do not cause reduction in unrest except by use of force.

I guess that depends on your RP perspective - I don't think it has to be by force, though it certainly can be. I view policing strength as planet-specific PPV. Having good police on earth is nice, but doesn't really make martians feel safe since the police cant really help if something happens there. A spaceship though can fly between planets, so both martians and earthlings can feel safe from it.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
Your starting planet/population is apparently exempt from PPV/unrest calculations, so maintaining a garrison on Earth is of limited utility.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Your starting planet/population is apparently exempt from PPV/unrest calculations, so maintaining a garrison on Earth is of limited utility.

Earth was a bad example but I was being hypothetical. Swap Earth out for something like Titan and my analogy makes more sense.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
Fair enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into the game message 'Unrest on Colony XXXXXX has been reduced by ground forces'... reads kind of ominous though.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 03:49:04 PM »
As it turns out, my 'friend' figured out why the population of Mars was so upset with the empire.

It seems some technician at the Martian Terraforming Station accidently left the 'add water vapor' box checked. This resulted in a global flood of biblical proportions and the martian hydrosphere is still recovering from this catastrophe a century later.

Oops  ::)