Author Topic: AI sitting huge fleets at jump points  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Bluebreaker (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
AI sitting huge fleets at jump points
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »
With how big ground forces can end up in NPR homeworld systems, I usually find myself needing multiple raids on such systems.
First to deal with military vessels and bases in multiple assaults. Then figuring how many ground troops are on the planet and dealing with STOs. And finally landing a ground assault.

In the process there is always one problem. Whenever the NPR loses ships in a system, the Jump Point leading to that system stacks with a number of ships (civilian, comercial and military).
In a way it makes sense it prevents them losing ships needlessly and gives them a chance to snipe enemy ships coming trough the JP.
However the problem is when you are actually destroying ships in a system that the NPR should actually try to defend, like its homeworld.
This also allows you to easily cripple any NPR by just destroying a ship in their HW, since it seems like the NPR will never clear the danger flag of the system.

Example:
After a long campaign you reach the enemy NPR HW system, destroy a flotilla there and return home since you are out of munitions and you can't deal with a (rather poorly placed) immobile stack of 15 bases with 60 size1 missile launchers each .
In the following years a pair of their ships poked periodically at the buoys on the way to their HW.
Return 10 years later (as an experiment i do after so many years), refitted and restocked and the only ships in their system are the immobile stack of bases. Deal with them and that's it.
This system has 2 JP, on the other side of the other JP there are about 130 enemy ships, including a number of military ones. All of them staring helplessly at the JP while i can do whatever i want to their HW unhindered.

Can i also point out, that the bases didn't bother firing at all against the 280 missiles coming to destroy them, but the remaining survivors did have the gall to fire their size1-warhead1 missiles at my fleet as it aproached to clean them up with lasers?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: AI sitting huge fleets at jump points
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »
Sounds like a bug to me. Have you reported it on the bug-report thread?

The size one missiles might have been designed as anti-ship missiles rather than as anti-missile missiles, so that might not be a bug.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: AI sitting huge fleets at jump points
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
If those actually were AMMs, not just mini-ASMs, and the ships didn't have res 1 sensors then that would be a bug as well.