Author Topic: Interrupt Problems  (Read 1611 times)

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Interrupt Problems
« on: December 19, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
I am in year 2038 ( started 2020 ) and have just commenced colonizing Luna. However a few months previously (game date ) i commencing receiving varying time interrupts from my normal 5 days ( 5 secs , 2 hours then 5 secs , 20 mins etc which is very annoying )

I have now received error pop-up :-

1.12.0 Function #2608: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Clicking OK brought up further similar Pop-ups mentioning Function 222 , 224 , 2339 then returning to 2608 and repeating the sequence.

After many clicking Ok the messages finally went away but the time constraint is still with me.

How can I determine what are the meanings of the Function numbers and sequence  and is there any way to stop the continuous time slow-down.

Is it better to start again from scratch now I have received these errors ?

DavidR

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:40:29 AM by davidr »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Interrupt Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
Unless your game breaks or is otherwise rendered unplayable you can continue your save.

The function numbers are there for Steve for when he is bug bashing since he can immediately tell which part of the code is throwing an error based on the number.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »
Probably interrupts are due to some NPRs interactions if you have started your game with any NPRs enabled.

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »
froggiest1982

1 NPR at the game start.

The 5 sec , 20 min etc time interrupts have been ongoing for months of game time with no end in sight.

I have a save from an earlier date long before the interrupts commenced. Does anyone know if the same interrupts would occur at the same point in time if I re-loaded this earlier save game. I would not want to play through this game again to only find exactly the same problems.

DavidR

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 02:43:47 PM »
froggiest1982

1 NPR at the game start.

The 5 sec , 20 min etc time interrupts have been ongoing for months of game time with no end in sight.

I have a save from an earlier date long before the interrupts commenced. Does anyone know if the same interrupts would occur at the same point in time if I re-loaded this earlier save game. I would not want to play through this game again to only find exactly the same problems.

DavidR

NPR might have triggered another NPR or Spoiler Races if that was set as ON. Your best bet it's to have a look at the DB or to get control of the NPR to understand what is going on.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
froggiest1982

1 NPR at the game start.

DavidR

Aurora is pretty deterministic. Everything plays out the same (I think even the seed for the pseudo random number generator is fixed).

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »
OK,

Thanks all for your inputs.

To be safe I think that I will now start a new game and hope I do not get another Function error pop-up or a prolonged period of small time increases.

DavidR

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 05:18:50 AM »
Aurora is pretty deterministic. Everything plays out the same (I think even the seed for the pseudo random number generator is fixed).

That is very much not the case. You roll different systems and different damage every time.

To be safe I think that I will now start a new game and hope I do not get another Function error pop-up or a prolonged period of small time increases.

The problem with just random function number popups like this is that you have no idea what is broken. It might be that some npr freighter can't unload an already empty cargo hold or something equally irrelevant, or it might be a piece of code failing that corrupts their entire fleet and all the orders the npr gives until the end of time. Who knows. You can continue to play, but in such a situation I opt not to because I don't want to prepare for an epic battle with an alien empire only to find they error'd out when they tried to build their first ship or are otherwise dead in the water.

Fewer NPRs = Fewer error-related disappointments
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:25:55 AM by Zap0 »

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
Zap0,

Thanks,

I have now started a new game and will just keep my fingers crossed for no error messages.

DavidR

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »

That is very much not the case. You roll different systems and different damage every time.

I've tested, and at least if you don't relaunch the game you will roll the exact same systems and damage if you just reload a save.

Haven't tested quitting the game first.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »
I've tested, and at least if you don't relaunch the game you will roll the exact same systems and damage if you just reload a save.

Haven't tested quitting the game first.

I haven't tested not quitting the game first - I imagine it's possible to reload the current database by hitting "play game" in the game window? That's never occurred to me. It'd be pretty strange for the game to roll the same values again if you can reload the save without closing, but not when restarting the game. The rng would have to be reinitialized with something contained in the save, but when restarting it doesn't do that... I'll put it down as one more weird quirk of Aurora's awkward programming.