Author Topic: Time increment stuck on low intervals - ideas for a fix?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline nuklearwanze (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • n
Time increment stuck on low intervals - ideas for a fix?
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:51 AM »
It seems like something in my game broke: from one day to the next time does only progress in 6 hour intervals.

when i select a 30 day increment, it only jumps ahead by 6 hours, when i select 5 day increments, it jumps ahead by 2 hours
30 days -> 6 h
5 days -> 2 h
1 day -> 30 min
8 h -> 15 min
1 h -> 6 min
20 min -> 1 min
5 min -> 20 sec
2 min -> 10 sec
30 sec -> 5 sec
5 sec -> 5 sec

sub-pulse has no impact on these numbers at all.

is there any way to "whack aurora over the head" so it changes back to the correct time increments?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Time increment stuck on low intervals - ideas for a fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
Probably you have NPRs shooting at each other. The best solution is usually to set the game to auto turns and click the 5 minute turns button, then browse the forums for a couple minutes until the combat finishes.

If it still doesn't resolve you can also check the DB game log table to see if an NPR has gotten "stuck" on a jump point or something.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
That happens frequently, it's only progressing one sub-pulse and then something interrupts the increment. I'm assuming you don't have any messages in your log that would indicate the cause. Check for missile fire controls left active without a target. Otherwise it's probably a situation like an NPR detecting another NPR somewhere after jumping through a JP, deciding to jump back through to flee, forgetting they exist and jumping back in, detecting them once more and causing an interrupt every time. In that case you're going to need to edit the DB or enter designer mode to locate and fix the problem (by deleting one of the offending ships/fleets), but with that you need to know what you're doing to some degree and Steve doesn't like it, so don't post anything as a bug from that DB thereafter.

Probably you have NPRs shooting at each other. The best solution is usually to set the game to auto turns and click the 5 minute turns button, then browse the forums for a couple minutes until the combat finishes.

If they're shooting each other the increments should get reduced in time and there should be a message in the log about it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »

If they're shooting each other the increments should get reduced in time and there should be a message in the log about it.

Usually when I have NPRs shooting each other I get some log messages but not for every shortened increment.

I suspect the increment is being shortened for both missile and beam firings but only the former spawns a log message. I'm not sure though as by nature NPR vs NPR conflicts are rather subject to that whole fog-of-war thing.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »
That happens frequently, it's only progressing one sub-pulse and then something interrupts the increment. I'm assuming you don't have any messages in your log that would indicate the cause. Check for missile fire controls left active without a target. Otherwise it's probably a situation like an NPR detecting another NPR somewhere after jumping through a JP, deciding to jump back through to flee, forgetting they exist and jumping back in, detecting them once more and causing an interrupt every time. In that case you're going to need to edit the DB or enter designer mode to locate and fix the problem (by deleting one of the offending ships/fleets), but with that you need to know what you're doing to some degree and Steve doesn't like it, so don't post anything as a bug from that DB thereafter.

My DB edit free solution to the jumping back and forth thing is to have a spacemaster race on hand with max tech. I instant build some super dreadnoughts and blow the offending ships up. Then delete the SDs.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »
That sounds like a good idea if you can isolate where the offending ships are. Do you have a special way to detect them?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
I put sensor buoys on every jump point so I can often just see it normally. But checking the GameLog in the DB to find where people are spotting ships might help.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
As I've found, rediscovering a contact already seen before does not produce a log entry. I spent quite some time running around the other day until I found the damaged stabilization ship that another NPR was so scared off >.<

Offline nuklearwanze (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • n
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »
I think i have found the problem - at least the cause of it: after my last battle quite a few unlucky crewmembers where left behind in their lifepods.  those must have triggered an interupt - because as soon as the lifepods expired, time increments went back up.