Author Topic: Aborting a drone?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline The Shadow (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
Aborting a drone?
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »
My main survey ships carry recon drones to check out planets for NPR's.  Recently a not-very-hostile NPR planted a colony and fleet in one of my systems.  (They've had opportunities to shoot my ships before, but not taken them.)  This made me somewhat unhappy.

I directed one of my survey ships to fire a drone at their colony so I could get a better look at their fleet.  (The drones have TH, EM, and active sensors.)   To my amazement, the drone didn't get shot down!  (The one I fired at their homeworld did.)  Some of their ships there have resolution 1 sensors, so they must surely see it.

The result?  There's 16 hours left on the drone, and the clock is ticking down 5 seconds at a time!  Surely there's some way for me to order the drone to self-destruct so the game isn't moving like molasses?  Surely?  Please?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Aborting a drone?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
My main survey ships carry recon drones to check out planets for NPR's.  Recently a not-very-hostile NPR planted a colony and fleet in one of my systems.  (They've had opportunities to shoot my ships before, but not taken them.)  This made me somewhat unhappy.

I directed one of my survey ships to fire a drone at their colony so I could get a better look at their fleet.  (The drones have TH, EM, and active sensors.)   To my amazement, the drone didn't get shot down!  (The one I fired at their homeworld did.)  Some of their ships there have resolution 1 sensors, so they must surely see it.

The result?  There's 16 hours left on the drone, and the clock is ticking down 5 seconds at a time!  Surely there's some way for me to order the drone to self-destruct so the game isn't moving like molasses?  Surely?  Please?
I'm not familiar with drones. Are they treated like missiles or do they appear on the Ships window? If the latter is true, then one of the tabs has an option to deal X points of damage to itself. That works as a self-destruction method, but I think that's not the case here. :?

Offline The Shadow (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
I'm not familiar with drones. Are they treated like missiles or do they appear on the Ships window? If the latter is true, then one of the tabs has an option to deal X points of damage to itself. That works as a self-destruction method, but I think that's not the case here. :?

Drones are like missiles, only with a lot more range and endurance.  I usually fire these things off from 800m km away.  Unfortunately I was rather closer this time...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
On the F8 combat overview window there is a "Missiles in Flight" tab that lists all missiles and drones in the system, along with a Destroy button

Steve