Author Topic: Mass Drivers and Industry  (Read 1136 times)

Offline randal7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
Mass Drivers and Industry
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
So it's 2036 and Mars has about 15mil population, so I decide to drop 10 factories on Mars and slowly build a commercial spaceport. Since Mars does not produce any of the needed minerals in any quantity, I import them from Earth. As soon as they hit the ground, the mass driver fires part of them back to Earth.

So I turn off the mass driver, import more minerals, and start the spaceport construction, hoping once it starts, the minerals will be deleted from the stockpile. Not the case, apparently. The minerals seem to be used up gradually throughout the course of the construction.

So, do I just have to leave the mass driver off for the seven or so years it takes to finish construction? Not a big deal in this particular case, but I could see where this would be a problem building up facilities on a planet that is the prime source of a critical element like duranium or sorium.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Mass Drivers and Industry
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
Quote from: "randal7"
So, do I just have to leave the mass driver off for the seven or so years it takes to finish construction? Not a big deal in this particular case, but I could see where this would be a problem building up facilities on a planet that is the prime source of a critical element like duranium or sorium.

Yes.  Changing this (e.g. by adding a "retention level" for each mineraly below with the mass driver will stop throwing it) is a long-standing request in the suggestions thread.

John

Offline randal7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
Thanks. It amazes me how fast you can get a question answered on this board, even with the community as small as it is.

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:24 AM »
Just a quick one, once built do mass drivers require a pop to operate? I have a uninhabitable world which I want to mine so this would be the best answer if not I suppose a transport ship would be required.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »
They don't require pop.