C# Aurora > C# Bureau of Design

Very first step into planetary assault - will they last long enough

(1/5) > >>

undercovergeek:
These guys are just to land, look around, tell me whats there and then probably die - hoping they last long enough

192 of these guys - Infantry Element, powered armour and PWI
Transport Size (tons) 6     Cost 0.18     Armour 15.0     Hit Points 10
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.023     Resupply Cost 1.3
Improved Personal Weapons:      Shots 1      Penetration 12      Damage 10

Vendarite  0.18   
Development Cost  67

1 of these guys

Infantry Element HQ
Transport Size (tons) 25     Cost 3     Armour 15.0     Hit Points 10
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.38     Resupply Cost 0
Headquarters:    Capacity 5,000
Non-Combat Class

Vendarite  3   
Development Cost  273

96 of these guys

Mech Element
Transport Size (tons) 12     Cost 0.36     Armour 15.0     Hit Points 10
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.045     Resupply Cost 6
Crew-Served Anti-Personnel:      Shots 6      Penetration 10      Damage 10

Vendarite  0.36   
Development Cost  94

and 24 of these guys

Heavy Element
Transport Size (tons) 98     Cost 3.92     Armour 20     Hit Points 40
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.49     Resupply Cost 34
Medium Anti-Vehicle:      Shots 1      Penetration 40      Damage 40
Medium Autocannon:      Shots 3      Penetration 30      Damage 20

Vendarite  3.92   
Development Cost  313

coming in at just under 5000

so they can fit in this

UD4 Cheyenne Assault class Assault Transport      12,199 tons       145 Crew       1,499.6 BP       TCS 244    TH 1,920    EM 0
7870 km/s      Armour 8-47       Shields 0-0       HTK 29      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1-0      PPV 0
Maint Life 0.03 Years     MSP 76    AFR 1190%    IFR 16.5%    1YR 2,684    5YR 40,257    Max Repair 480 MSP
Troop Capacity 5,000 tons     
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

Macrinus Aeromarine Magneto-plasma Drive  EP960.00 (2)    Power 1920    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 960    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 17.8 billion km (26 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Troop Transport for auto-assignment purposes

Andrew:
The units themselves are fine. 
5000 tons is small for a ground unit but workable , however you should have an HQ Element in the unit so you can get officer bonuses, also you will need some supply units or your troops will be combat ineffective within a few days.
Finally you have a military transport ship, which is fast and well armoured although an abomination with an odd number of tons in its size :(
However as you really need to land something more like 100,000 tons of troops on even an outpost you will need 20 of these ships, and you are still not fast enough to avoid being shot by any STO Weapons particularly as it is not drop capable, it will zoom to the planet then orbit for several hours landing its troops and any remaining STO will kill it before they land. Also with that short range its not invading anyone much outside your home system.
I prefer to use slower commercial troop transports at around 100,000 tons carrying 40-50000 tons of drop capable troop transport and you still need a lot of them , even more to invade a homeworld (or a big advantage in tech).  I lean towards unarmoured as I can't put enough armour on to survive STO Fire so they need to be killed before I invade and so I don't bring the transports in until  I have space superiority

edit Strike through as I learn to read!

Garfunkel:
It's important to understand the distinction between boarding ships and invading planets and moving troops around. The former requires a boarding capable troop transport module, has to be as fast as possible to minimize casualties, but does not need to carry a lot of troops - it also does not need lot of armour / shields as the general consensus goes that the target to be boarded will most likely be disabled or at least heavily damaged before boarding commences.

However, planetary invasions are entirely a different thing. They need a drop capable troop transport module, speed is not hugely important as they will get hit by STO regardless of how fast they are - as long as they aren't so slow that crossing the STO envelope takes like a minute or something crazy like that, do need to carry A LOT of troops and must be heavily armoured and shielded to survive long enough.

Finally, your regular troop transport can be a commercial ship with just the regular troop module, nothing extra needed as it is just moving grunts & guns from training planet to deployment planet, ie point A to point B. Plus, moving xenoarchaeology and construction formations around as needed. Going for as cheap a design as possible is the key here.

So, in essence you need 3 different troop-carrying vessels because the requirements for the 3 missions are quite different. And no, forget sci-fi movie stuff, having a little helicopter-equivalent dropship dodge incoming fire is not a possibility in Aurora currently. Think of it more like Mechwarrior, where a huge-ass armoured behemoth slams through the atmosphere, makes a crater where it lands and then vomits out giant fighting machines, hundreds of tanks and thousands of troops, instead of Aliens where a sleek fighter nimbly puts down a squad of marines.

All of this is to justify me saying that your Cheyenne is too small and too fragile to do planetary invasions, especially since it doesn't even have drop capability, is probably too slow to be a boarding vessel (and is lacking that capability anyway) while also being bit too expensive and probably too small to be an efficient peacetime transporter.

undercovergeek:
Thanks both - I do have a commercial unarmoured 100k transport for moving around huge groups of engineers instead of building construction factories- I’ll see what I can do with that

Is drop capability in the logistics tree?

Pedroig:
Ground Forces

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version