Author Topic: Ion Engines  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
Re: Ion Engines
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
I call bullsmeg. Sure , it might get those 110 N/kW (though I doubt it , air is a lot harder to ionize than say argon ) but there's an upper limit to the thrust you can get from an ion drive before it starts arcing all over the grids.

I really doubt you can get more than a couple of thousands of newtons out of it - which is useless for anything bigger than a basket :) Not to mention the batteries will be heavy enough to make it impossible to lift  :D

Edit: going through their paper now - having the uni's publish accounts really helps :))

Edit2 : original paper here : http://lae.mit.edu/uploads/LAE_report_series/2012/LAE-2012-008-T.pdf

Edit3 : Just as I expected , overhyped by media. The paper is quite nice , don't get me wrong , but it does show that there's a limit to how much you can scale the thrust , and they've worked on milinewton designs , not something powerful enough to lift a jet. Still , downloaded , bookmarked and archived for later read when I've got the time to do it properly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:25:15 AM by niflheimr »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Ion Engines
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
Yeah, it's amazing how the media tend to overhype everything. They're ripping electrons out of the very molecules we breathe to turn them into somthing they can use for propulsion, isn't that cool enough? You don't need fancy blabla to make science cool.