Author Topic: Games like Aurora  (Read 43707 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Games like Aurora
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
I like American Civil War (both I && II).  That being said, it takes me forever to do a turn and I often abandon the game - if I lose my attention for a few weeks it's too hard to pick it back up.

I think most of the interest is historical though - I got their Roman game (same engine) and it didn't thrill me.

John

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
Still in development, but Paradox Stellaris seem to resemble Aurora quite a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Neceros

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
Stellaris and Distant Worlds 2 look interesting.

Actually Dominion 4 is VERY complex if you add in the construction of artifacts and using magic - especially battlefield magic since you have to order your mages what to cast before the battle and there quite a number of combo effects.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
Quote from: Mor link=topic=3104. msg85221#msg85221 date=1452912526
Still in development, but Paradox Stellaris seem to resemble Aurora quite a lot.

Have been following the development of this one.  Stellaris could be a worthy successor to MOO2, but nowhere near Aurora in grognardism.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »
I have yet to read all Dev Diaries, but so far they used\improved a lot of the same concepts. Although I suspect that combat won't be as rich, its Pardox game hence modable and with a big community, in half year time its likely to offer way more gameplay verity than name schemes.

Offtopic: I know that some Veterans loving adopted the term grognards, but its generally isn't compliment ;)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »
the original Grognards would not agree with you

and you're about 30 years too late to argue about it's adoption by old school wargamers
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 12:52:31 AM »
You what mon frere? I'll have you know I fought at Waterloo, and know cinquante ways to kill a man.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
Vive L'Empereur!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
the original Grognards would not agree with you

and you're about 30 years too late to argue about it's adoption by old school wargamers
Their agreement or lack thereof is irrelevant. Even dictionary definitions update with time, and this one isn't even that, its a cute reactionary esoteric title that got watered down with time. Especially in regard to computer games e.g. having an old computer that can't run games from the least 20years, has nothing todo with being a Grognard, only that you have limited options.

Iranon

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
That's not how I see it used.
Less "my computer can't run it", more "things aren't as good as they used to be"

Tabletop/RPG grognards may long for simpler rulesets with more room for improvisation rather than the refined later versions.
The computer game equivalents may pine for a time when simpler styling left more room for gameplay (e.g. fully destructible environments or sprawling levels in DOS-era games may be absent from modern remakes, because they'd be difficult to deliver with the expected production values).

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »
Those are just romanticized window dressing. And Subscribing to the idea that "they don't make them like they used to" doesn't make you Grognard, and with PC it more often that not means you either an edgy kid or someone whose gaming days are behind a wall of RL and their familiarity with modern titles ends with few mainstream\popular titles that are meant for a different audience. Anyway, it doesn't really mater and we digress.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »
There is one.

Now, when I say that I mean not only in complexity, but in theme.  A true 4x space conquest galore.  It is Space Empires, in two flavors: Space Empires V with Kwok's balance mod, or Space empires IV with any of its great mods.  There is simply not another game that comes closer to Aurora in terms of depth and complexity, even if Aurora is still more complex.  As stated in the first post, perhaps the only other reasonable comparison would be Dwarf Fortress.

I wish someone could prove me wrong showing me another complex great Space 4x.  .  .

I hate you. Really I do. Why did you have to remember me of space empires 5 with the kwok mod? Now I HAVE to reinstall it....

War in the pacific AE is immensely complex, and immensely long. Like, LONG. One game might take 2-000 hours or more. There is a catch though, if you really want to play it, you have to play it against a human opponent via play by email. On the Matrix forums there is an entire forum full of epic AAR. It's THE ultimate strategy game. But as said, it's frakking LONG. And it's learning curve, if you truly want to LEARN it and play it well (and you will need to do so against a human opponent) is so bad that Aurora is probably easier. ...

Distant worlds is extremely nice, but requires you to auto pause very frequently if you want to micromanage everything. And people who play Aurora will want to :P

Dominions 4 is quite complex. But very similar to Dominions 3. And while the game is very good, I didn't like too much the endgame specifically.

About AI war, it's a completely different type of game, BUT I have to admit that depending on the setting you choose at game start it can be insanely difficult. As in, why was I so masochistic as to try this game like this?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
I've never actually managed to finish even a single Space Empires V game. I always play on gigantic 150-200 star maps, but at some points every single turn takes you about 30+ minutes to administrate. Always told myself that I would make it to ringworlds and dysons this time, but eventually it dried out everytime. ..But as with Aurora, you always come back. Currently I still tell myself to finish a SE5 game from 1.5 years ago where I custom modded Kwok so that the star systems are larger, the ship classes diverge much more extremely in size (and costs) with some larger version components and extra tech levels too, + corresponding AI so they would fill these designs accurately. Yeah, in the end I spent more time modding it than playing, although it worked great. Just that the turn length wont stop expanding, as I can't help but micro everything. ;)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »
War in the pacific AE is immensely complex, and immensely long. Like, LONG. One game might take 2-000 hours or more. There is a catch though, if you really want to play it, you have to play it against a human opponent via play by email. On the Matrix forums there is an entire forum full of epic AAR. It's THE ultimate strategy game. But as said, it's frakking LONG.
I love that game, in many respects it put my favorite ww2 strategy series to shame (HOI), but time... I love deep games where my ass handed to me if I am not micro managing everything But some times such games can become repetitive time sink, which you "play" on auto-pilot (at that point I usually start listening to audiobooks) and you find yourself wasting hours doing the exact same thign. That why I had to limit some of those "job" games.  So to me paradox games present a more content rich environment that actually keep me playing for longer.

Yeah, in the end I spent more time modding it than playing
The modder "curse" been there done that ;)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 03:01:09 AM »
I love that game, in many respects it put my favorite ww2 strategy series to shame (HOI), but time... I love deep games where my ass handed to me if I am not micro managing everything But some times such games can become repetitive time sink, which you "play" on auto-pilot (at that point I usually start listening to audiobooks) and you find yourself wasting hours doing the exact same thign. That why I had to limit some of those "job" games.  So to me paradox games present a more content rich environment that actually keep me playing for longer.

The reason for that is that you do not play it in multiplayer. Think about it, it feels repetitive because... a lot of what you do doesn't really matter all that much. Against a human player it's a different thing.

Then again, to play such a game in multiplayer, with someone like you who spends countless hours on such a game. And I mean countless. It's a full-time job :P

I know for a fact (I have asked) about the turn length for those AARs players. Usually between 40 minutes and 2 hours a turn. But sometimes you get those planning turns when you have to spend 4-6-8 hours or so? :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:02:56 AM by Zincat »