Author Topic: LP Creation?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
LP Creation?
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
So...  I find myself with a binary system that's rather large.  I have a gas giant/super jovian in the primary and secondary system but no default LP.  Is it possible to add one via SM?  I poked around a bit and add/remove JP is pretty straight forward but LP isn't there or I am missing the obvious.

This would be delightful to have as my non-hyperdrive survey craft tells me that at 2500km/s it will take 11,223 days to get there.   :o

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
Re: LP Creation?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure (usable) LPs exist when a gas giant or super jovian is massive enough to warrant one. If that's the case, you could only make one by upping the mass of a body, or adding one. Which is impossible. Sorry.

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
It is a bit more complicated. . .  you need at least TWO of those massive gas giant in order to have the LPs.

Thinking about it, a single LP allowing ship to jump only to itself would be a bit useless. . .

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
It's possible to have only one LP in a system.

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
Yes, one would be a little useless.  Although, an LP that doesn't go anywhere is still an LP.  It is not as though the gravity well disappears.

What I am not sure of: does every Gas Giant or Super Jovian above X mass produce a LP?  If LP production is guaranteed when mass is great enough there would be no way to make an LP unless I could manipulate the system/body properties directly.  If LP creation is a random then there is a chance for SM LP creation.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
My own memory has it that every Super Jovian produces an LP.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
You shouldn't get a system with only one LP. The sysgen code is supposed to remove the LP at the end if it only creates one.

Steve

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Yes, more what I was getting at is L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5 exist even if no other body in the system is large enough to produce an LP as you have designed.  Effectively the body has an LP, it just didn't go anywhere and your programming removed the null LP from the system.

The answer to my question is no.  Now I just get to sit back and see if a near version of Aurora addresses the problems with multi-systems with un-reachable secondary stars.

Offline IveGotNoIdea

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
Yes, more what I was getting at is L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5 exist even if no other body in the system is large enough to produce an LP as you have designed.  Effectively the body has an LP, it just didn't go anywhere and your programming removed the null LP from the system.

The answer to my question is no.  Now I just get to sit back and see if a near version of Aurora addresses the problems with multi-systems with un-reachable secondary stars.
Near unreachable stars? I have system with a planet that is 2 LIGHT YEARS away from the star, how I am supposed to reach it?

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
Lol.  I know.  I just found an O class star with insane travel distances to the outlying planets.  I know that these systems may be realistic but for purposes of gameplay it would be nice to have a mechanic to allow these places to be functional parts of the game and not just eye candy.

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
I'd say this is the kind of system that needs hyperdrives. Maybe not for populated colonies, since they will be isolated regardless, civilian shipping being unable to go that far fast enough. But it may be worth designing a dedicated survey ship with hyper capabilities, and afterward some hyper capable freighters if anything there is worth it.

I have yet to feel the need for hyper-capable engines. This would be a good incentive.

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
Hyper drive is nice and all but civilian ships won't use it and you have to actively manage the hyper engagement on your cargo ships.  I have yet to build a hyperdrive engine so I have no idea if it would even be worth it.  The orbital duration of the most outlying planet in this O class system is 1,300,000 days with a distance of 44,000 AU from the star