Author Topic: Power Requirements  (Read 3722 times)

Offline State (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Power Requirements
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
Hi there guys, im new here and im designing my first real military vessel (planets want protection. . .  useless civilians, there is no hostiles around).  So seeing as i'm making a frigate, based on lasers i figure they need power. . .  lotsa lotsa power (in my estimate).  So i picked up a few Stellarator Fusion reactors, and plugged those in. . .  however, i cannot figure out how many i need to power my shiny new toy to suppress civilian anxiety (you know, i'm just such a benevolent guy). 

In short: Where do i see how much power my new ships need to be able to fire my lovely new lasers at rocks. . .  yes rocks. . .

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
Re: Power Requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:03:23 AM »
Should be on the lower left side of the ship design window, specifically "Power Required" and another something like "Power Supplied".

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Also, you can look at the weapons you have placed on the ship and calculate what you will need from them.

Code: [Select]
15cm Laser (4)    Range 180,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 6-3     RM 3    ROF 10        6 6 6 4 3 3

In the above snippet, there are 4 lasers on the ship. You can see in the Power information section that they require 6 power to fire and recharge at a rate of 3 power every 5 seconds. So in any single 5 second increment, the entire bank of 4 Lasers will draw 3 x 4 = 12 Power.  The ROF (Rate of Fire) is 10 seconds because it requires two 5 second pulses for the lasers to recharge since the capacitors are only able to support 3 units of Power per increment.

If your reactors create 5 Power, you would need to have 3 of them on the ship to create the 12 Power required every 5 seconds. (In that case I would also suggest just adding a 5th laser to maximize efficiency)
If your reactors create 6 Power, then you would need to have 2 of them on the ship in order to create the 12 Power required every 5 seconds.

Offline State (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Thanks, that made alot of sense.  Moving on to the test range!