Author Topic: Window sizing error  (Read 2841 times)

Offline James McGuire (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Window sizing error
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:46:58 AM »
I apologise if this has already been discussed but I did an extensive search and couldn't find mention of anything similar.   Also this is not a complaint about the 1280x1024 I've already grabbed a screen scroller workaround. 

The issue I have is with the ship design screen (and possibly others) which have the bottoms cut off obscuring the vital controls.   This is not simply a resolution error since the window actually ends about 100 pixels above the controls that are necessary and there is no way to access them even through scrolling the screen. 

Has anyone else run into this? Could it be an installation error? Could windows Vista have anything to do with it?

Edit: I have attempted a re-install but it didn't help
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:13:14 AM by James McGuire »

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Window sizing error
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
This isn't a bug.  Steve wrote the program for larger screens and lots laptops and smaller moniters cut off the bottom of several of the windows.   A search for "Display issues" will bring up one of the threads talking about work arounds.  There are several other threads as well talking about resizeEnable and other apps you can use.

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:50:44 AM »
Unfortunately that hasn't helped, all of the issues I could find there dealt with the resolution being too small rather than the window of the game itself cutting off the vital data.  And all possible solutions I could find under the search "display issues" are either not applicable or did not work.

The FAQ for common display issues has also been taken down, I assume because it was in the other forum before a move.

Thank you for your help though.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »
Hi,
I'm not sure what you're encountering.  All the game's windows are perfectly fine in my case, as long as I have the right resolution.  A screen shot would be helpful, though not for me: I'm blind and thus couldn't see it.  Nevertheless, I would doubel check your resolution and make sure you're running in admin mode, but otherwise I've no clue what the issue is.
Edit: For the record, the Display Issues section of the FAQ has not been removed.  I recommend you browse the forums directly instead of searching with the search function or any search engine.  Here is the new URL:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2033.0.html
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:31:59 AM by zkline »

Offline Mithras

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:36:56 AM »
I came up agaisnt this problem when using a laptop.  There is a solution, which the window resizer is only part of.

I use the program resize enable to deal with resizing the windows and gimespace to extend my desktop.  The combination works for me with a bit of playing around with the options.  Resize enable will eventually ask you for money though.

Hope I come close to helping, it's been long enough since I toggled the options so I can't remember the specifics.

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
Using resizer does not seem to help.                    

Here is a couple of screen shots of my problem

What I see on the normal screen:

And what I see if I scroll down the desktop:

As you can see the window itself has cut off the options bars that I need at the bottom.                    

Scrolling doesn't help and resizer simply changes the window as it is rather than revealing the hidden option buttons.                    

Any other suggestions?

Edit: apparently picture links aren't working for me either  :-[.  Must go to bed I'll see if I can fix it in the morning.          

If you want to see the screen shots the links still work but the forum has just apparently decided to add in spaces after every full stop.       ftp://

All working now.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:48:34 PM by James McGuire »

Offline Mithras

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
I remembered what I you have to select now.  Right click on the gimespace icon while you have the aurora window open and select set window size.  Stick in the minimum resolution and it should work.  You might need to do this for each window but you shouldn't need to do it more than once for each.

I hope this works for you.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
Using resizer does not seem to help.                 

Here is a couple of screen shots of my problem

What I see on the normal screen:

img101. imageshack. us/img101/4910/windowcutoff. jpg

And what I see if I scroll down the desktop:

img573. imageshack. us/img573/1377/windowcutoff2. jpg

As you can see the window itself has cut off the options bars that I need at the bottom.                 

Scrolling doesn't help and resizer simply changes the window as it is rather than revealing the hidden option buttons.               

Any other suggestions?

Edit: apparently picture links aren't working for me either  :-[.    Must go to bed I'll see if I can fix it in the morning.     

If you want to see the screen shots the links still work but the forum has just apparently decided to add in spaces after every full stop.   

The "broken" links are a spam prevention mechanism. Once you get 5 posts, your links will work.

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Ah thankyou very much.     Now I know my computer isn't going crazy    :)

Edit: Ok still not working, I'll assume there is just a timelimit before you can post images so I'll just wait and try again later.  

Also the links are still in Erik's quotation box if your interested, just delete the spaces after the full stops.

Apparently it's 10 posts.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:49:17 PM by James McGuire »

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »
Screen shots finally up!

Offline nichaey

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
I have encountered this problem as well, but there is a solution without the annoyingness of gimmes scolling.

All you need is resize enabler.
What you do is you resize the window smaller (~2/3rds the original size), let go, then stretch it out again.
This moves all of the buttons closer to each other and can obscure text boxes and whatnot, but if you get good at it can be a perfectly fine solution.
Closing the window will reset it for the next try if you squish it too much.

this works for my laptop with a max 768 px height, although sometimes I will have to retry it a few times.

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
That's done it, Thank you all for your help.

Offline Vulcanphsyco

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
Quote from: nichaey link=topic=3046. msg29778#msg29778 date=1288832696
I have encountered this problem as well, but there is a solution without the annoyingness of gimmes scolling.

All you need is resize enabler.
What you do is you resize the window smaller (~2/3rds the original size), let go, then stretch it out again. 
This moves all of the buttons closer to each other and can obscure text boxes and whatnot, but if you get good at it can be a perfectly fine solution.
Closing the window will reset it for the next try if you squish it too much.

this works for my laptop with a max 768 px height, although sometimes I will have to retry it a few times.

I had the same problem as this guy, and tried this.  However, it did not work for me, when i resized it down, it reset so that those controls were still obscured.  I was using Resize Enable.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
I had the same problem as this guy, and tried this.  However, it did not work for me, when i resized it down, it reset so that those controls were still obscured.  I was using Resize Enable.
Resize Enable seems to be hit and miss in its appeal.  I use it for my laptop and I've found it very useful.  After a bit of practice it is quick and easy to resize windows and still see all the buttons.  However, pick the wrong size and there will still be buttons obscured.  I'm not sure whether it is a lack of familiarity with Resize Enable or a genuine issue with using RE with certain laptop/OS combinations that is causing people problems.
Welchbloke