Author Topic: Patch for v4.5  (Read 3725 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Patch for v4.5
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »
This is really a bug-fix release as I have fixed quite a few bugs recently and I want to ensure that new bug reports aren't for bugs I have already fixed. However, the new database includes the necessary changes for the missile series functionality as well as 800 new real star systems and two new commander name themes - Dutch and Hobbit. Thanks to backstab for the former - I am to blame for the latter :)

EDIT: I am leaving this post as a placeholder due to the discussion within the thread. The v4.5 patch is no longer needed though as it has been superseded by v4.6

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Patch for v4.5
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Am First Am FiRSt !!!!!
:D
i think am awaitn for a Arms Personal pC manPortable..for check ur news:))))

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! BUT....ARE a really 4.5 VERSION!! not a update:)).

(oops...200 years of Co-Dominium as gone:))))))))))...

Steve..steve..u r a DEVIL!

thanks for this Diamond in a 4x landscape.

(am ever hope u one day or another prepare FOR ME ONLY,a Hexagon galactic Map"::::DDDDDD

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:12:57 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! BUT....ARE a really 4.5 VERSION!! not a update:)).

(oops...200 years of Co-Dominium as gone:))))))))))...

Steve..steve..u r a DEVIL!
I did mention in the release notes it would overwrite saved games :). Any release with a change to the first number after the point is always a database change. Didn't you mention you were saving it every month though?

thanks for this Diamond in a 4x landscape.

(am ever hope u one day or another prepare FOR ME ONLY,a Hexagon galactic Map"::::DDDDDD
Would probably need to be a 3D map now as all the real systems have XYZ coordinates.

Just thinking out loud now but to create a traveller style game with jump ships rated on their ability to cover a certain distance, I could measure the distance between systems in a real stars game and display that on the system and galactic maps. I could then add an extra jump drive characteristic, which would be the max jump distance in LY. Jump ships would then only be able to reach star systems within their range. That wouldn't work in a regular game because I don't have 3D coordinates for the star systems, although I guess I could create them. It's a major change to the game though and it would make it more difficult for both players and NPRs. I am not sure the added complexity would provide an equal gameplay benefit.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
Was a joke:D

ive 12 saved games,ty Steve dnt wrry.

For "traveller" u have explain me many times the complexity and again dnt wrry..are only my damned Romanthic reminder of dozens years passed play Marck best Sci-Fi (pencil and paper) game.(ive become reach "Master" rank in 2 good clubs of Rolepaying..and u know..mind r a hard friend:)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
Steve could you throw up the v4.46 DB quickly for me please?  I am at work, want to try SQLDiff, but I do not have the v4.46 DB on hand.

*edit*
never mind, found v4.40 :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
It looks like I will need to release another DB update later tonight to fix a couple of the yoyo bugs so don't start any major campaigns in v4.5

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
It looks like I will need to release another DB update later tonight to fix a couple of the yoyo bugs so don't start any major campaigns in v4.5

Steve
And of course I read this after designing all of my ships  :D
Welchbloke

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"

Steve
You could continue with v4.5 rather than losing them. The v4.6 changes are to fix yoyo problems that you may not run into anyway.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"

Steve
You could continue with v4.5 rather than losing them. The v4.6 changes are to fix yoyo problems that you may not run into anyway.

Steve
I'd only designed the ships, I hadn't started incrementing time yet. I enjoy the design proocess so chopping to 4.6 isn't a chore  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
These are the structure changes that I could find using this free software

Missiles table has new columns
MissileSeries is a new table
ShipNames has new columns

I created the following SQL - access is a bitch, I have been spoilt by MSSQL and Enterprise Manager in work ... the hassle just to get the below script was driving me nuts.

Run this in a query window while you have Stevefire open from your 4.4x installation.

NOTE, run this at your own risk!

NOTE, defaults can not be added using query window within access (wtf!?) so that may be an issue. If it is then just go to design view and add 0 as the default to the currency columns.

Code: [Select]
ALTER TABLE Missiles ADD COLUMN MissileSeriesID Integer,
MSPReactor Currency,
MSPWarhead Currency,
MSPEngine Currency,
MSPFuel Currency,
MSPAgility Currency,
MSPActive Currency,
MSPThermal Currency,
MSPEM Currency,
MSPGeo Currency,
MSPArmour Currency,
MSPECM Currency

CREATE TABLE MissileSeries (RaceID COUNTER NOT NULL, SeriesID Integer, SeriesName Text)

ALTER TABLE ShipNames ADD COLUMN ClassicalAstronomers BIT,
Guardians BIT,
SixteenthCenturyExplorers BIT

Steve, are those 3 tables the only ones you changed?

Did you add any new rows to tables that contain constants? The tool I found only appears to compare structure and not date :(

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
These are the structure changes that I could find using this free software

Missiles table has new columns
MissileSeries is a new table
ShipNames has new columns

I created the following SQL - access is a bitch, I have been spoilt by MSSQL and Enterprise Manager in work ... the hassle just to get the below script was driving me nuts.

Run this in a query window while you have Stevefire open from your 4.4x installation.

NOTE, run this at your own risk!

NOTE, defaults can not be added using query window within access (wtf!?) so that may be an issue. If it is then just go to design view and add 0 as the default to the currency columns.

Code: [Select]
ALTER TABLE Missiles ADD COLUMN MissileSeriesID Integer,
MSPReactor Currency,
MSPWarhead Currency,
MSPEngine Currency,
MSPFuel Currency,
MSPAgility Currency,
MSPActive Currency,
MSPThermal Currency,
MSPEM Currency,
MSPGeo Currency,
MSPArmour Currency,
MSPECM Currency

CREATE TABLE MissileSeries (RaceID COUNTER NOT NULL, SeriesID Integer, SeriesName Text)

ALTER TABLE ShipNames ADD COLUMN ClassicalAstronomers BIT,
Guardians BIT,
SixteenthCenturyExplorers BIT

Steve, are those 3 tables the only ones you changed?

Did you add any new rows to tables that contain constants? The tool I found only appears to compare structure and not date :(
I added about 800 rows to the KnownSystems table with new stars plus there are two new commander names themes. I also remember adding a couple of default values in a couple of tables to avoid some null errors but unfortunately I can't remember where. The new columns in Missiles will also need to have the Default Values set to zero or they may also cause null errors. The problems occur because I often set default values in database tables so that when I create a new record for that table, I don't need to set every field in the table - just the ones that are applicable for the record I am adding. The default values take care of the rest.

As to other data changes, I couldn't swear to it unfortunately. I just don't keep detailed records of the changes and there is a huge amount of static data. I think I swapped around the order of the last two options for warships, capital ships and FACs in the NPRFleetOrders table. When I first started with SA I used a version system and kept more detailed records but it took a lot of time and for a one man project it wasn't really necessary. Instead I comment my code very heavily and also add notes to the DB.

The new version 4.6 changes around the FleetOrders table a little more to correct some yoyo bugs, although mainly for notes I think. There will also be some more themes. Completely importing the KnownSystems, CommanderNames, NameThemes and FleetOrders would probably help

I still would advise players to either patch normally and start a new game or stick with the older version until you are ready to patch. If you really want to try updating the v4.46 database, then the above looks like the best bet. However, if you report a bug, please remind me that this is an upgraded DB or I could chase my tail looking for a bug that doesn't exist in the non-upgraded version.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
I hate Access  :)

This was my best game so far and I had some really good future plans but I'd rather stay on track with your new versions otherwise there is no point in me testing and providing feedback.

Whenever you get around to writing it in a new language, pick a DB that uses T-SQL  :wink:

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I hate Access  :)

This was my best game so far and I had some really good future plans but I'd rather stay on track with your new versions otherwise there is no point in me testing and providing feedback.

Whenever you get around to writing it in a new language, pick a DB that uses T-SQL  :wink:
I don't know if you used Starfire Assistant but there was someone called Jim Randall (I think) who created a program called SAUpgrade, which did what you are trying to do. It wasn't perfect and games that used it would very gradually pick up errors but it kept some campaigns going through an amazing number of versions. I never used it or provided support for it, but there are probably a few people on this forum that did. It's possible you might find a copy of it somewhere on the web and maybe even the source code/script

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
I have added a checkbox to the Population window for v4.6 that hides civilian mining colonies. The definition of a CMC for this purpose is a colony with civilian mining complexes that has no population and no automated mines.

There is also a new commander names theme in v4.6 and two new overall themes, courtesy of Backstab.

Steve