Author Topic: 10 thermal alien populations  (Read 2836 times)

Offline lastverb (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
10 thermal alien populations
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »
ive discovered system with 2x 10 thermal alien pops on non habitable moon and asteroid, defended by 3 mid-tech ships. ive checked in system summary that there isn't any system  i don't know. destroyed, jumped to next system and there was another 10thermal pop of same race defended by 5 ships.
is it me or the game generates a lot of that outposts before generating race homeworld? ive never met any alien habitated planet (chance to generate npr: 40%)

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: 10 thermal alien populations
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »
10 thermals are usually listening posts - more often than not they seem to be precursors rather than NPRs (especially with the 3-ship defending squadron), although I have once found a precursor defence squadron that comprised 3 cruisers and 2 gunboats - I think NPRs tend to build bigger ex-system populations when they do expand.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:02:35 AM »
generate chance 40%!?????????????????????????
u r crazy mate.

ur way r near to become NO live in ur System and expansion program:)

more realistic r 2-3%

Never 30%

Am wanna "PLAY" not WAR every damned months:))))

Offline lastverb (OP)

• l
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:44:36 AM »
the problem is i discovered 20 systems, many with habitable planets and only those 2 systems have those 10 thermals. npr generation is on, but it seems my aurora dont generate nprs others than start game (0 in this one)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
Quote from: "lastverb"
the problem is i discovered 20 systems, many with habitable planets and only those 2 systems have those 10 thermals. npr generation is on, but it seems my aurora dont generate nprs others than start game (0 in this one)

What is the problem that you're trying to solve?  Are you saying that you want more NPR races?  If so, on the startup screen (I think it's also called "game info ctrl-I" on the pull-down menus) you can crank the probability up to 100% for suitable worlds being populated by an NPR.  The reason I said "suitable" is that there's a specific range of environment factors that a world needs to meet in order to be eligible as an NPR homeworld - this is not just the colony cost.  Steve has posted this range somewhere - don't remember where but you can probably find it by searching.  My experience has been that you often need to go through 10s of systems to find an NPR, which is not out of line with what you're seeing.  This is because he uses fairly realistic physics models during world generation, and the probability of having all the factors line up is fairly low.  On the other hand, I've had games where it's felt like I tripped over an NPR in every system I enter.

And Precursors are a mystery :-)

John

Offline lastverb (OP)

• l
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
value ranges for homeworlds are in some hint ingame - ive found A LOT (10+) of suitable world with 40% chance to generate and it didnt generate single npr (if those 10thermals are precursors - fairly easy to beat with good AM defence)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »
value ranges for homeworlds are in some hint ingame - ive found A LOT (10+) of suitable world with 40% chance to generate and it didnt generate single npr (if those 10thermals are precursors - fairly easy to beat with good AM defence)

What's your definition of "suitable"?  It should not be synonymous with "colony cost < 2.0", nor even with "colony cost == 0.0".  Don't forget that the colony cost of a world depends on racial characteristics - different races will see different colony costs for the same world.

It is very typical to see 10+ colony cost<2.0 worlds and not find any precursors.  And if you're seeing 10+ cost-0.0 worlds after having only surveyed ~20 systems, you should count yourself lucky :-) - they tend to be a LOT more rare than that.

John

Offline lastverb (OP)

• l
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
value ranges for homeworlds are in some hint ingame
suitable = within ranges for generation mentioned ingame in hint

its not about precursors - i didnt find any nprs with generation on and 40% chance - strange with 10 SUITABLE planets, about that lot of planets with low cost - 3 planets within 0.0-0.5 range were in ONE system :) im lucky as hell, but not with npr generation

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »

its not about precursors - i didnt find any nprs with generation on and 40% chance - strange with 10 SUITABLE planets, about that lot of planets with low cost - 3 planets within 0.0-0.5 range were in ONE system :) im lucky as hell, but not with npr generation

Depending on your races values, what may be a low cost planet could quite easily be outside the paramaters Steve put in for npr generation.  If I remember correctly there is a fairly small grav range of like .5-2.5 G and a temprature range of like 150 degrees.  If you are one end of this then most of your worlds would not qualify for a npr being generated.  I do not remember the numbers exactly but they should be somewhere in those ranges.

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

I don't understand what you mean by "ingame in hint".  Do you mean you hover your mouse over something and you get a tooltip?  If so, what are you hovering over?  The reason I'm pushing on this is that I suspect you're confusing colonization cost with suitability for NPR generation, especially since you mention "3 planets within 0.0-0.5 range", which sounds a lot like colonization cost.

For the criteria for generating NPR, please see this post

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1366&p=11404&hilit=oxygen+temperature#p11404

and the thread containing it.

If the criteria you're using to define "suitable" are the ones in the post, then I agree, it's weird.  On the other hand, it's also weird that you would get so many of them after surveying so few systems.

Thanks,
John

Offline lastverb (OP)

• l
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:03 AM »
hovering mouse over npr generation chance gives hint of SUITABLE planet - no ruins, oxy 0.07-0.4, temp -40-60, grav 0.4-2.5 its far wider than mine race

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
generate chance 40%!?????????????????????????
u r crazy mate.

ur way r near to become NO live in ur System and expansion program:)

more realistic r 2-3%

Never 30%

Am wanna "PLAY" not WAR every damned months:))))

2-3% ?? No wonder you've had so much expansion without conflict.  

I think it's safe to say that a segnificant margin of the rest of the Aurora player base prefer the game be about expansion inspite of conflict with other races.  After all the 4th X is "extermination".   :wink:  

I'm not bagging on your style of play, it's yours.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »
naa.
Are more "realistic" 3%
Am setting 1.000.000 of stars..am wil not to expect an 300000 races's War:)
Am too stressed from RL Work than game mate:))

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
It's very unusually to find so many potentially habitable worlds in so few systems. Are you sure they have suitably dense oxygen atmospheres? if you look at this Atmospheric composition column on the F9 window, those planets with oxygen will have a number in parantheses before the percentage. Unless there is oxygen and that number is higher than 0.07, there is no chance of any NPR.

Steve

Offline lastverb (OP)

• l
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
i bet u meant lower - there is 0.07-0.4 range for oxy