Author Topic: Crusade - Comments Thread  (Read 44602 times)

Offline punchkid

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
Re: Crusade - Comments Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »
Does this also apply for NPRs that start at game start? or only the chance of generating NPRs on system discorvery?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
Does this also apply for NPRs that start at game start? or only the chance of generating NPRs on system discorvery?

It only applies to generating new NPRs or spoilers. You could still run into game start NPRs immediately. However, in game settings you can choose the min and max distance from Earth in LY for any starting NPRs.

The following users thanked this post: punchkid

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
It only applies to generating new NPRs or spoilers. You could still run into game start NPRs immediately. However, in game settings you can choose the min and max distance from Earth in LY for any starting NPRs.

And if I'm not using 'Real Stars' how does that work?  Is there still a Min & Max distance setting for NPRs, and if so, how is it calculated?

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »

And if I'm not using 'Real Stars' how does that work?  Is there still a Min & Max distance setting for NPRs, and if so, how is it calculated?

No, it is only for real stars. Random stars doesn't have any concept of real space distance so it uses the same system number method as VB6 for starting NPRs.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 02:07:42 AM »
And of course the game where you go maximum military spending results in completely peaceful expansion with no enemies so far. Murphy's law at work, par for the course :P

It's still interesting watching them expand. I tend to do something similar when I play, trying to create at least a small manned colony in each system, and I suppose the new population limits probably make that even more important.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 02:19:42 AM »
And of course the game where you go maximum military spending results in completely peaceful expansion with no enemies so far. Murphy's law at work, par for the course :P

Especially as I added the new spoiler type as well. I have even been stepping through the spoiler and NPR generation code to check they are still working :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »

And now I know why there are no enemies :)

The NPR and Rakhas generation won't happen if a planet has a dangerous gas in the atmosphere. Unfortunately, oxygen was being treated as a dangerous gas! Aaaaaarggh!

Tempted to restart but I think I've come so far in this campaign I will just continue. At least I got chance to build up a lot :)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 10:48:37 AM »
Well that should certainly also make for some interesting logistics when you eventually do have to fight them.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
Well that should certainly also make for some interesting logistics when you eventually do have to fight them.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

I personally feel war with a spread out empire is more interesting anyways; early on you can mostly just gather all your ships into one big death ball, but later on with a multi-system empire that becomes less feasible, and you also have things like emplaced defenses and defense in depth. And of course the logistics of fuel and missile stockpiles.

Not that the Imperium is likely to have to worry about being on the defensive with that fleet they've got :P

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

I personally feel war with a spread out empire is more interesting anyways; early on you can mostly just gather all your ships into one big death ball, but later on with a multi-system empire that becomes less feasible, and you also have things like emplaced defenses and defense in depth. And of course the logistics of fuel and missile stockpiles.

Not that the Imperium is likely to have to worry about being on the defensive with that fleet they've got :P

We'll find out soon - first contact!

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, Zincat, punchkid, Jovus, DEEPenergy, Agoelia

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »
We'll find out soon - first contact!

F5 F5 F5 F5...

To add some actual content: I really like the new logi screens you put together and posted shots of. I feel like that's been a keystone that's been missing for truly grand space-operatic Weber-esque wars, and I'm happy to see it. Plus it's really cool how Actual Play drives Actual Design.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 01:17:16 AM »
Looks like Precursors.

A pity I was hoping for the new spoilers  ;D

By the way, I'm not holding my breath for the possible success of any sort of probing strikes. Looks like a recipe for disaster in this situation... The alien forces look quite formidable. The presence of AMM is particularly daunting for the Empire's weaponry. Maybe they're on ground based installations though, which could provide an opening for the Empire

I understand, of course, that you are roleplaying here   8)

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 01:36:29 AM »
It feels to me terraforming small bodies might be a little too easy, if they're running around colonizing asteroids with the plan to quickly terraform them. Lack of gravity to hold an atmosphere would become an issue at some point. Even if, on re-reading, it was an absolutely gigantic asteroid (that's more than half the diameter of the moon).

Looks like Precursors.

A pity I was hoping for the new spoilers  ;D

By the way, I'm not holding my breath for the possible success of any sort of probing strikes. Looks like a recipe for disaster in this situation... The alien forces look quite formidable. The presence of AMM is particularly daunting for the Empire's weaponry. Maybe they're on ground based installations though, which could provide an opening for the Empire

I understand, of course, that you are roleplaying here   8)

Do precursors use fuel harvesters? Though the fact that the passive augurs didn't detect signs of a population argues that it probably isn't an NPR either. Interesting.

Offline arty

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 03:41:45 AM »
think swarm ?

Offline Agoelia

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 04:50:21 AM »
think swarm ?