Author Topic: Crusade - Comments Thread  (Read 45020 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Crusade - Comments Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 07:10:07 AM »
It feels to me terraforming small bodies might be a little too easy, if they're running around colonizing asteroids with the plan to quickly terraform them. Lack of gravity to hold an atmosphere would become an issue at some point. Even if, on re-reading, it was an absolutely gigantic asteroid (that's more than half the diameter of the moon).

I am still playing around with balancing Terraforming as it has changed so much. There are several new factors.

1) You need 0.5 atm of water vapour to go from zero water to 20% (minimum for no water-based colony cost) and that water vapour will take five years to condense (0.1 atm per year). So even if you add the water vapour quickly, you still can't make a water-less world completely habitable in less than five years. A large world with water is still a better option than a mid-sized world without and larger worlds are more likely to have water.

2) Population capacity is a new consideration. This body is very large for an asteroid, but it is barely above minimum gravity and has a maximum population capacity of fifty million. Small worlds can be colonized more quickly but have limited population. You can't terraform any world with less than 0.1 gravity.

3) Many more worlds are available to be colonised due to the higher speed of terraforming small bodies. In VB6 Aurora, this asteroid would never be considered as a realistic terraforming prospect because it lacked atmosphere. Faster terraforming for small worlds means you have a choice on using your terraforming resources on many small colonies or fewer larger colonies. More choice and more decisions.

4) You can create terraforming stations and build them using construction factories. In VB6, you would need an orbital habitat for that, which is much less practical. This means you can put a lot of terraforming modules into space if that is your priority.

I need to see how this works out in practice, but when the aliens were discovered the terraformers were working on two worlds larger than Earth. Large worlds are slow to terraform but they are also a lot more likely to have existing water and atmospheres and larger mineral deposits. Even this asteroid would probably not be considered for terraforming except for the nearby aliens.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 07:11:06 AM »
Do precursors use fuel harvesters?

They don't in VB6, but the AI uses fuel in C#.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
It feels to me terraforming small bodies might be a little too easy, if they're running around colonizing asteroids with the plan to quickly terraform them. Lack of gravity to hold an atmosphere would become an issue at some point. Even if, on re-reading, it was an absolutely gigantic asteroid (that's more than half the diameter of the moon).

I am still playing around with balancing Terraforming as it has changed so much. There are several new factors.

1) You need 0.5 atm of water vapour to go from zero water to 20% (minimum for no water-based colony cost) and that water vapour will take five years to condense (0.1 atm per year). So even if you add the water vapour quickly, you still can't make a water-less world completely habitable in less than five years. A large world with water is still a better option than a mid-sized world without and larger worlds are more likely to have water.

2) Population capacity is a new consideration. This body is very large for an asteroid, but it is barely above minimum gravity and has a maximum population capacity of fifty million. Small worlds can be colonized more quickly but have limited population. You can't terraform any world with less than 0.1 gravity.

3) Many more worlds are available to be colonised due to the higher speed of terraforming small bodies. In VB6 Aurora, this asteroid would never be considered as a realistic terraforming prospect because it lacked atmosphere. Faster terraforming for small worlds means you have a choice on using your terraforming resources on many small colonies or fewer larger colonies. More choice and more decisions.

4) You can create terraforming stations and build them using construction factories. In VB6, you would need an orbital habitat for that, which is much less practical. This means you can put a lot of terraforming modules into space if that is your priority.

I need to see how this works out in practice, but when the aliens were discovered the terraformers were working on two worlds larger than Earth. Large worlds are slow to terraform but they are also a lot more likely to have existing water and atmospheres and larger mineral deposits. Even this asteroid would probably not be considered for terraforming except for the nearby aliens.

With these factors, you can now have "population farms" to rapidly increase your population. A couple dozen small planets/moons that have been terraformed would allow for a large number of high growth colonies. You could then have an appropriate number of colony ship assigned to remove population from each colony based on its growth rate and deliver those to large planet and high value colonies that need high populations.

I do not remember what the population growth rate for a 50 Million population world is, but if it is ~10% then you can get 5 Million pop per colony which can build up very quickly if you had 20 or 30 of those.

This also strikes me as a very WH40K thing to do, forced migration from small colonies to the newly settled hive worlds.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 12:26:29 AM »

With these factors, you can now have "population farms" to rapidly increase your population. A couple dozen small planets/moons that have been terraformed would allow for a large number of high growth colonies. You could then have an appropriate number of colony ship assigned to remove population from each colony based on its growth rate and deliver those to large planet and high value colonies that need high populations.

I do not remember what the population growth rate for a 50 Million population world is, but if it is ~10% then you can get 5 Million pop per colony which can build up very quickly if you had 20 or 30 of those.

This also strikes me as a very WH40K thing to do, forced migration from small colonies to the newly settled hive worlds.

I believe (not 100%) that the population growth curve is now determined by how much of the population capacity is filled. So for pop growth farms you'd want the biggest habitable planet you could find, not a bunch of small ones.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 02:59:01 AM »
I believe (not 100%) that the population growth curve is now determined by how much of the population capacity is filled. So for pop growth farms you'd want the biggest habitable planet you could find, not a bunch of small ones.

As long as you're under 1/3rd cap, you should get un-modified growth rates.  You'll need Imperial colony ships, though, unless your 'farm worlds' pop capacity is 75+ million.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2019, 04:43:31 AM »

On the other hand, planets that have no TN resources can still work perfectly well as sources of population, or wealth when you put down some finance centers.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Sounds like there's a bit of a curse on the Ascension name  ;D

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Sounds like there's a bit of a curse on the Ascension name  ;D

Currently building Ascension Tertius :)

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 07:57:33 AM »
goddamn cliffhangers  ;D

so are enemy still relatively static in their tech level? is that gonna change before release?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
goddamn cliffhangers  ;D

so are enemy still relatively static in their tech level? is that gonna change before release?

No, not static :)

The new NPR research is a lot better than before, in both planning and execution. Their tech choices are matched with their design theme. In more than one test game the NPRs have gone up tech levels and designed new ships. You will probably run into ships from the same NPR with different levels of tech.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
goddamn cliffhangers  ;D

The new NPR research is a lot better than before, in both planning and execution. Their tech choices are matched with their design theme. In more than one test game the NPRs have gone up tech levels and designed new ships. You will probably run into ships from the same NPR with different levels of tech.

Will the NPRs refit their ships then ? Or will they keep the old ones as is ?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 03:24:07 AM »
goddamn cliffhangers  ;D

Will the NPRs refit their ships then ? Or will they keep the old ones as is ?

At the moment they just build new ones and keep the old ones. I might add some refit code at some point.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
Just found a slight bug...

A ship with automated AMM launch can fire as many times as it wants to in a single phase. I wondered how the defenders of Procyon took out so many missiles at once. Now I know :)

I'll fix that before the new attack starts :)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »
Wait, launchers set to AMM duty currently don't cycle to empty but instead load instantly or shoot from the magazine?

That's really broken.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »
Wait, launchers set to AMM duty currently don't cycle to empty but instead load instantly or shoot from the magazine?

That's really broken.
I'd call it pretty fine leveling field to counter box launcher volleys  :P