Author Topic: Crusade - Comments Thread  (Read 44653 times)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Crusade - Comments Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2020, 04:21:03 AM »
So I have a question Steve. You have explored a large amount of systems now...
What about the new spoiler race? Did you disable it at game start? It just feels weird that you have not met them yet. Or did I miss anything?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2020, 06:51:19 AM »
What about the new spoiler race? Did you disable it at game start? It just feels weird that you have not met them yet. Or did I miss anything?

No, they have been active since I Had 30 systems. I think I need to widen the environmental conditions where they can appear.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2020, 08:23:21 AM »

No, they have been active since I Had 30 systems. I think I need to widen the environmental conditions where they can appear.

I see. Thanks for the answer. Seems like that's the case, yes.
I really want a populated galaxy, full of BAD STUFF  ;D

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
I really want a populated galaxy, full of BAD STUFF  ;D

I've been considering replacing the invaders with something along the lines of the Eye of Terror from WH40k. An 'Aether Rift' would spawn and slowly grow over time until it encompassed the whole system. Ships without shields that enter the Rift would suffer damage and planets would suffer radiation and collateral damage while within the rift. At random intervals (several years apart), an invasion would occur through the rift (a 'Black Crusade') from an enemy located on the far side of the Aether. The invasion fleets would become more powerful over time. This would probably lead to a 'Cadian Gate' style situation.

The following users thanked this post: Tanj, clement, smoelf, TheBawkHawk, serger, Jovus, Alsadius, Ciphascain, Abridal

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
It seems like it would be a shame to eliminate Invaders entirely, might as well add this new endgame threat in addition to it. I love the idea, though, would make the game very different if you turned it on.

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »
It would certainly make for a tense game as you scramble to build fleets strong enough to protect the systems next to the "Eye"

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »
How about a Master of Orion style enemy where you get the invasions but there is actually a series of home systems or at least one mega home system where you can eventually actually track back to and take that system as an end game option.

Perhaps a single tech line that enables a jump to / from their home system which will need to be researched through capture of their ships or through picking through their wrecks.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »
Sounds like a cool replacement idea for the Invaders but I think I would like the ability to be able to do something to close off the rift - a station that needed destroying or perhaps another system on the far side of the rift which could nominally be 'cleaned' out.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
How about a Master of Orion style enemy where you get the invasions but there is actually a series of home systems or at least one mega home system where you can eventually actually track back to and take that system as an end game option.

Perhaps a single tech line that enables a jump to / from their home system which will need to be researched through capture of their ships or through picking through their wrecks.
Yeah, that was a really nifty thing about Master of Orion and something I would love to see replicated in Aurora. It doesn't really work with Invaders if they "own" their own galaxy but with the new thing Steve proposes it would work. I know in WH40k the Chaos cannot be defeated through violence but closing the "Eye" should be possible. Even if it means that a new one will eventually open elsewhere.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »

Yeah, that was a really nifty thing about Master of Orion and something I would love to see replicated in Aurora. It doesn't really work with Invaders if they "own" their own galaxy but with the new thing Steve proposes it would work. I know in WH40k the Chaos cannot be defeated through violence but closing the "Eye" should be possible. Even if it means that a new one will eventually open elsewhere.

In WH40K it was almost closed through the ancient pylons, so maybe the player has to control enough 'Pylons' to close down the Aether Rifts. I guess a good place to put them would be on worlds guarded by Necrons - I mean Precursors :)

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Alsadius

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
In WH40K it was almost closed through the ancient pylons, so maybe the player has to control enough 'Pylons' to close down the Aether Rifts. I guess a good place to put them would be on worlds guarded by Necrons - I mean Precursors :)

Ooh, I like it. You'll need a backup plan if they turn off the Precursors, though. (Maybe as simple as just running the generation function whether or not they're selected, and creating the pylons with no military force if they're not)

Edit: Or the planets with the Rakhas. They'd also be a fun pylon location.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
I like this. Would be nice if the pylon victory required several aspects of the game, like ground forces for the planets and just not glassing them. A space navy of course. And expansion/exploration to find them. And research to use them. See there, 4X  ;D

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2020, 12:54:41 PM »
Yes, the more I think about this the more I like it. As suggested, you would to find them (usually at ruin sites), defeat any defensive forces and investigate each Pylon using Xenology ground units. Once sufficient Pylons have been 'researched', the rifts close down. This would be an epic task, which could be adjusted in game options to make it harder or easier. It adds a form of end game to Aurora.

Actually, would be even more interesting if the forces from the Rifts could destroy the Pylons if they find them. And I guess if this is WH40k-themed, at some point the invasion forces would need a Planet Killer :)

The following users thanked this post: JustAnotherDude, Alsadius

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2020, 01:00:54 PM »
Uh-oh, release is now pushed to 2021 as Steve codes all this stuff in  :-*

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2020, 02:27:22 PM »
Uh-oh, release is now pushed to 2021 as Steve codes all this stuff in  :-*