Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 266832 times)

Offline Jumpp

• Lieutenant
  • J
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1110 on: November 24, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »
New Solari Empire Update

All attempts to communicate with the Ross 47 aliens have failed. For want of a better name, we're calling them the Necrons.

2049-08-27: 1st fleet engages the Necrons in Ross 47, destroying some FACs and getting chased off by some 10,000-ton vessels employing size-3 antiship missiles that move at ~27,000 kps. Fleet suffered only armor damage in this engagement. We've learned that we need better missiles and sensors if we're to effectively engage Necron units.

2050-10-10: First Contact with a new species in Lacaille 8760. There's a beautiful Earth-like planet there, and the alien ships don't fire as we withdraw. We expect that they live on that planet, though we didn't get near enough to confirm this with instruments. Diplomatic teams have begun saying "nice doggie" while we sharpen our stick.

We shall call them the Doggies, and we'll rename the system "Canis".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:11:22 PM by Jumpp »

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #1111 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:30 AM »
Lost another Survey Vessel to the Space Peacocks.  Third system I've found them in now . . . yet they never seem to be protecting anything.

Anyway's with the loss of USS Discovery the remaining Grav Survey Vessel has been recalled and further exploration halted until a new vessel can be prototyped and constructed that will spot the enemy a distance away and have the speed to attempt to escape.

Offline Jumpp

• Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #1112 on: November 25, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
2052-08-06: Canis-A I is conquered.

1st Fleet made the first sortie, destroying four 850-ton FACs, three 8500-ton warships, a 17000-ton warship, and a 17000-ton PDC. No enemy unit managed to fire a shot. 1st withdrew when they'd expended their ammo.

2nd Fleet made the second sortie, destroying the remaining PDCs, the shipyards, and some surprisingly durable but apparently harmless 36,000-ton ships which we speculate may have been heavily armored freighters.

Their tech was generally inferior. Their ships were slow and had poor reach. We captured some pretty useless grav survey ships and some possibly useful colony ships with a total capacity of 150,000 colonists. All are equipped with Ion drives. We also captured 1136m people, 22 research labs, and 3,000-5,000 of each mineral.

During the war, our enemies were the "Doggies." Now that that's done, our comrades in arms are the Halych and the system has been re-designated Halychon, their word in the Halych language for "Seat of the Elect."

The 1st and 2nd Infantry divisions remain on Halychon while the details of the transition to imperial partnership are arranged.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:25:39 AM by Jumpp »

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #1113 on: November 25, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »

waiting for 6.50 is difficult so I run another game , again
- standard terran 500mil setup 150% difficulty . no npr , no chance for their generation , game focused on invaders
exploration kept to minimum ( max 2j of Sol )
Invaders shown up past 2045 and till now (2080) keep 1-3 wormholes active any time in my space ;) and game is very very intense as in last 7-8 years I simply had no time and possibility to take care of colonizing / terraforming / setting mines
so far they wiped my civilian shipping twice , my combat fleets although won in engagements were reduced to close zero 3 times :), mars bombarded 3 times ;) but colony has survived
one of alpha centauri colonies faces nuclear winter but I generally keep up
tonnage of invaders military destroyed so far exceeds 800kt or maybe even more
but also gallicite and cash ( for the first time ever ) shortages
technology progress one of fastest ever
absolutely crazy game

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #1114 on: November 29, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
And another day in Precursor land.

This time they are gone, just poof'ed away. I am missing 2x 9500 ships and 2x 19000 Ships (I thought those were PDCs).

Maybe a lone Salvager will bait them into action.

See you next time on "Ostia is losing heavy civvie ships against Precursors"

Offline Jumpp

• Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #1115 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
New Solari Empire Update:

First sign of this new species is a small ship in Ross 47, behaving like a geo survey ship. (Ross 47 is three jumps and maybe 8bn km from Sol.) Interviews and autopsies of the crew and analysis of the wreckage tell us little: They're a high-gravity species who call themselves the Regulus.

A pretty talented diplomatic team very quickly threw in the towel, announcing that no communication was possible.

We spent the better part of a year tuning up our ships and preparing ammunition for the invasion, and deployed several survey ships to the area to search for the Regulus homeworld. Nothing within 1 jump of Ross 47. Nothing within 2 jumps. Eventually we find it 3 jumps from Ross 47 and six jumps from Sol. (Sol->Proxima Centauri->The Expanse->Ross 47->Crossroads->Okinawa->Regulus). They've got about three dozen ships sitting directly on their JG which poses a problem since we employ only missile boats that, despite their heavy armor, won't do well in a fight at close range owing to their launch reload times (600 seconds on the current generation of battlecruisers.)

Fortunately, despite the impossibility of communication and our destruction of their surveyor, relations remained calm and then warmed a bit when they offered trade access. This was a surprise. We'd imagined that since communication was impossible, implacable hostility must necessarily follow, but it was a welcome surprise since it offered a solution to our breaking-through-the-JG problem.

We prepared listening posts in Crossroads and Ross 47, and a fuel depot in Ross 47. We rolled all our warships up into one big fleet and sent it in.  Three command cruisers, nine missile-defense cruisers, twelve missile cruisers, and three colliers.  All ships are 16,000 tons and travel at 8,750 kps on Internal Confinement Fusion drives, and the fleet totals 480 size-5 launchers (reload 600s) and 420 size-1 antimissile launchers (reload 5s.)  Total ammo load is around 3000 "Harpoon Mk3" anti-ship missiles (warhead 16, range ~190mkm) and about 9,000 "Nike Mk2" antimissiles (speed 57,600, MR 49).

We jumped in to Regulus to find their fleet still sitting on the Okinawa JG just as we'd first seen them a year earlier. Despite the sudden arrival of 384,000 tons of fast-moving warship with actives on, they didn't react. We moved to a position about 160m km away and then opened fire.

The Regulus ships turned out to be made of tissue paper. Slow-moving tissue paper. Nothing bigger than a FAC was observed moving at speeds greater than 1,500kps, and their FACs didn't reach 3,000.  We destroyed everything at the gate--about a dozen 15,000-tonners and then maybe two dozen 7500-tonners, then a handful of stragglers as we advanced on the homeworld. There we demolished what was most likely a bunch of civilian ships, though it's hard to say for sure since they weren't noticeably slower or thinner-skinned than the ships we'd met at the Okinawa gate.

It took about a quarter of our available ammunition to destroy their entire fleet. Later analysis suggests that we used 2-3 times as much ammo as the job required. Near as we can tell, they didn't get a shot off.

Fearing nothing that might emerge from it, we've left their (extremely large: ~1.3 million tons) shipyard complex intact.  First infantry and third armored divisions are on en route.

During these preparations we made first contact with another bizarre species we're calling the Tyranids, mostly in a cluster of systems near Tau Ceti (about four jumps from Ross 47.) Like the Necrons, their ships leave no lifepods. Unlike the Necrons they leave no wreckage.  We've encountered two 60,000-ton supercarriers toting 800-ton FACs, and a 20,000-tonner that we don't know what it does because we killed it from long range before it did whatever it was going to do.

Our Harpoon missiles can kill these, but they're poorly shaped for the task. It takes several hundred to kill the supercarriers, and they manage only 50% hits against the FACs. We've created two new missiles for dealing with Tyranids: The slow, long-range "Tomahawk" missile with a 25-strength warhead for killing slow-moving heavies like those carriers, and short-range fast-moving "Sparrow" missile for killing FACs. (warhead 18, range 54mkm, maneuver 21, speed 40,000.)

Nids don't move around much. Once spotted, they wait patiently where we found them while we go home and get a rock to drop on them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:08:48 PM by Jumpp »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1116 on: December 02, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
Just built my first salvagers to salvage the wreckage from battle and a few unidentified ones around here and there. And I found my mistake. I copied them from my cargo ships, replacing 1/2 my cargo space for salvage modules (1 cargo = 2 salvage), and I realized when I went to jump... they didn't have any jump drives. *Why do we still not have a facepalm emoticon  ;)* I am lucky my JG construction ships are almost finished building at the shipyards.

Edit; And I found an alien race, right in the direction I originally thought. They were just sitting on one of the JPs and have shown no reaction to the 20k ton survey ship, or its 1000 thermal, that was right next to them. The ship class has been named Medusa for various reasons and has a thermal of 500, and there are two of them just sitting there on the JP to the new found Richmond system.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:24:53 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1117 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
Most likely it's a gate builder.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1118 on: December 02, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »
Probably not as there was already a JG on that point for years, there were just 2 sitting there. Didn't get a screenshot as I forgot, and I'm not going back as I made communication and diplomacy is going well. Turns out they are called the Pelican Republic, and they look fairly similar to us Humans.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1119 on: December 03, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »
Somebody forgot to tell the captain there was already a gate there, AI bug maybe?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #1120 on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »
New 7.0 setup

Off to a very rough start.  11 years in.  Poor mineral distribution, only earth and Venus have sizable resources.  6 jump points found in Sol system.  Grav survey 1 sent into JP1 to Proxima centauri...blasted out of space by a 200,000T behemoth :o .  Grav survey 2 sent into JP2 to Luhman 16...blasted out of space by unknown ASM.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #1121 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
  Didnt take long for the centaurians to discover Earth.  4-60000T ships, and what appear to be 20 fighters have entered earths active sensor range.  ASM fire has been ineffective.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1122 on: December 06, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
Since it was a database patch and games got deleted and it was recommended long games wait for a week for hot-fixes, I started a short game I called BattleTech. I gave myself a lot of tech at the start, it gave me all engine/reactor techs, max gauss research and missile techs, decent sheilds and armor, and near end sensors. I started with only 100 max systems with 4 nprs, plus a high random spawn chance, plus spoilers. I have a feeling this will get quite slow at times, but it will be worth it.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #1123 on: December 06, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
23rd July 2111
Earth defenses...shattered
Shipbuilding capabilities...wrecked
Commercial shipping...blasted
Ground troops have captured asteroid Artemis (13k duranium and 5k sorium)
A single ground troop dropped on earth was smashed.

Enemy ships have left the system...

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #1124 on: December 06, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Had a very similar 7.0 game, Mastik.  Only minerals on Earth and Venus, and had Spoilers right next door.  No chance really.  Doesn't help that on a personal level I prefer beams to missiles, despite the game trying to railroad me otherwise.