Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 255261 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #660 on: April 04, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
I've updated Diplomacy Part 2 as a result of play test. As with the update to Part 3, this should make the mechanics cleaner and clearer.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118318#msg118318

The following users thanked this post: clement, bro918

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #661 on: April 04, 2020, 11:29:11 AM »
If the end of March release isn't a goal anymore can you possibly add in Spinal Rail-guns before the first release?
I don't see why they would be a big deal to add in and test.  I rather wait an extra week and have spinal railguns if that is a possibility.  Halo style ships.

I'm super excited for the release and I can definitely wait for you to be satisfied with the initial release.

It's looking great so far I really can't wait to play.

Best wishes goes out to everyone reading this and living through the current crazy times we are experiencing.

The following users thanked this post: bro918, Wieseltrupp

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #662 on: April 04, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
I think (based on what has been said previously) that the delay on non-laser spinals is more because Steve hasn't decided how he wants them to work yet rather than the time it would take to implement.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #663 on: April 04, 2020, 11:48:37 AM »
I would support a sooner release than waiting another week or two for an optional pet feature.  Fact is I think anyone who plays and has been following the current feature set has a feature that would have liked to see in for this release.  Mine include combat air patrol/interception for fighters (including A2A combat) and peace treaties in diplomacy.  BUT, I think it has been clear what the release criterion are at this point - polish diplomacy to designer satisfaction, obfuscation, install program and release.  Everything else will/should come after.  My opinion for what it's worth.

The following users thanked this post: mpf0214

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #664 on: April 04, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
I think (based on what has been said previously) that the delay on non-laser spinals is more because Steve hasn't decided how he wants them to work yet rather than the time it would take to implement.

Yes, this is correct.

I might even make particle lances a spinal weapon if they seem too powerful as a normal weapon.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius, Protomolecule

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #665 on: April 04, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »
I would support a sooner release than waiting another week or two for an optional pet feature.  Fact is I think anyone who plays and has been following the current feature set has a feature that would have liked to see in for this release.  Mine include combat air patrol/interception for fighters (including A2A combat) and peace treaties in diplomacy.  BUT, I think it has been clear what the release criterion are at this point - polish diplomacy to designer satisfaction, obfuscation, install program and release.  Everything else will/should come after.  My opinion for what it's worth.

Yes, that is my intention. Install seem to be done now, so I need to finish testing Diplomacy (I am making progress) and implement obfuscation. I am throwing in one or two extra features as I go when they are quick (like the mineral search) or I need a break from the more complex areas.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #666 on: April 04, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
Apologies in advance for what may be a stupid question...

What is "obfuscation" in relation to finalizing the development of the initial release?  ???

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #667 on: April 04, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
Obfuscation is a way of making a program harder to reverse engineer. It's basically to keep any unscrupulous programmer from stealing it.

The following users thanked this post: Jarhead0331, Ayeshteni, Inglonias

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #668 on: April 04, 2020, 02:58:09 PM »
<snip>
I might even make particle lances a spinal weapon if they seem too powerful as a normal weapon.

Don't you dare!

*growls*
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #669 on: April 04, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »
It never really made sense to me why 1 8,000 ton ship can have only 1 spinal mount, but 4,000 ton ships can each mount the same weapon. Why not make max spinal mount size scale with ship size, or allow multiple spinal mount weapons up to some multiple of ship tonnage?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
It never really made sense to me why 1 8,000 ton ship can have only 1 spinal mount, but 4,000 ton ships can each mount the same weapon. Why not make max spinal mount size scale with ship size, or allow multiple spinal mount weapons up to some multiple of ship tonnage?

I agree with this sentiment... a ship might be able to carry a total spinal weapon weight based on ship size, but you don't want it to be a linear...

Perhaps something like...

Ship Size in HS (ShHS), Weapon Size in HS (WpHS)

ShHS^0.5*10=WpHS

A 500 ton fighter could mount max spinal weapons of 220t size
A 5000 ton frigate could mount a maximum spinal weapons of 700t size
A 50000 ton battleship could mount a maximum spinal weapons of 2250t size

Just as an example...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:24:13 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
How many spines do these ships have?

I always imagined a spinal mount is like a HALO Mac cannon or the Gau-8 in the A-10. You designed the craft around the weapon not vice versa.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

The following users thanked this post: Zed 6, Black, Mastik, mpf0214, TinkerPox

Offline Gladaed

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »
Quote from: papent link=topic=10096. msg120399#msg120399 date=1586037232

I always imagined a spinal mount is like a HALO Mac cannon or the Gau-8 in the A-10.  You designed the craft around the weapon not vice versa. 

This is a fair point.  (Super)Capital class vessels should have a dedicated class of very large (capital) mounts that is similar but inferior to spinal mounts.

Offline alaysian

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2020, 08:09:05 PM »

I always imagined a spinal mount is like a HALO Mac cannon or the Gau-8 in the A-10.   You designed the craft around the weapon not vice versa. 

For the record regarding halo, Infinity has 4 super-MAC cannons.

That's why I think it makes more sense to have larger spinal mounts as others have said.    Either have multiple sizes restricted based on class, or autoscale them based on hull size of the ship, or even both. 

I love my giant ships and just want to build my death star  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:26:29 PM by alaysian »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #674 on: April 04, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »

I always imagined a spinal mount is like a HALO Mac cannon or the Gau-8 in the A-10. You designed the craft around the weapon not vice versa.

I think if you want more than ONE spinal-mount weapon, your ship should be a catamaran or even trimaran design (which could be a simple tech line).

The following users thanked this post: papent