Author Topic: Cannot view buttons even using limited window height option  (Read 2162 times)

Seronis

1024x768 and 1366x768 are very common resolutions for older computers and even newer laptops.   At a minimum these resolutions need supported but many windows are taller than that.   Current windows sizes seem to assume you have the taskbar hidden (not normal),  that your window magically doesnt have a titlebar wasting space (does this even happen?), and still are a bit too tall.

Please, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER, either make each window scrollable on its own (best idea since then we wouldnt even need limited height mode) or make them fit within about 740 pixels so that the window frames and taskbar dont block buttons.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Cannot view buttons even using limited window height option
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:18 AM »
This will hopefully be changing for 7.2/C# Aurora already. What you can do is click off screen to hit those buttons (I do it all the time). Also, don't create a new topic for a suggestion like this that has already been asked thousands of times.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
hxxp: ynea. futureware. at/cgi-bin/infinite_screen. pl
You can use this, and keep the windows at their normal height.  (A few buttons are missing in reduced height. )

The following users thanked this post: seronis

Offline seronis

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Tree link=topic=8602.  msg90374#msg90374 date=1461855354
hxxp: ynea.   futureware.   at/cgi-bin/infinite_screen.   pl
You can use this, and keep the windows at their normal height.    (A few buttons are missing in reduced height.   )
Sadly not usable on windows 8.  Times like  now I am so glad im a tiny bit OCD.   Redownloaded and reinstalled it twice more.   3rd time it randomly started working.   Thank you

Quote from: 83athom link=topic=8602.  msg90372#msg90372 date=1461854958
This will hopefully be changing for 7.  2/C# Aurora already.   What you can do is click off screen to hit those buttons (I do it all the time).   Also, don't create a new topic for a suggestion like this that has already been asked thousands of times. 
There is no capacity to click off screen on this netbook.    And if a question is getting asked thousands of times that probably implies that ITS STILL IMPORTANT and not being resolved.    Meaning people should keep making new topics about it until it gets resolved. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:33:05 AM by seronis »

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 05:40:48 AM »
Aurora is provided by the developer for free.  He has no obligation to make any of it work on your laptop.

I've seen a number of possible solutions for this, but have not tried any of them.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8594.msg75610;boardseen#new

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=3dc603195ed5115c164afe39082fbd4b&topic=47678.18285 where Flying Dice keeps a solution in his signature.

Offline Polnor

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
Quote from: Stardust link=topic=8602. msg90407#msg90407 date=1461926448

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8594. msg75610;boardseen#new

Perfectly works for me and that sense to use XP one more time on my win10.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Quote from: seronis link=topic=8602. msg90392#msg90392 date=1461914306
There is no capacity to click off screen on this netbook.     And if a question is getting asked thousands of times that probably implies that ITS STILL IMPORTANT and not being resolved.     Meaning people should keep making new topics about it until it gets resolved. 
It'll never get fixed, it all depends on Steve's own display.  And he recently upgraded to two screens with 3440*1440 and 2560*1440 resolutions.  He has literally 0 incentive to rework the buttons and windows, which he already said would be absolutely painful to do in the current VB version.  Maybe it'll be easier on him with the C# version, maybe not.

Quote from: Polnor link=topic=8602. msg90409#msg90409 date=1461931319
Perfectly works for me and that sense to use XP one more time on my win10. 
That's a bit overkill.  Playing with Infinite Screen I linked earlier and binding it to alt isn't too cumbersome, I played Aurora a lot like that.  I don't doubt there are similar tools for W10.

Another thing I do a lot when playing on a laptop is running the game on my desktop and playing from the laptop via remote desktop connection.  Smart resizing can show the full desktop's screen in a small window, works nice.  Usually do that when I'm not home.

Offline seronis

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
Got infinite screen to install on the 3rd attempt (i have win8 on this netbook not win7 sadly) and while it works beautifully with EVERYTHING ELSE, it cannot relocate Auroras windows.   When anything else is selected everything but aurora will shift properly when trying to scroll.   When Aurora is the top level program the feature just doesnt work at all.   Shame really since I still cant access the bottom row of buttons on the task orders screen at all and some other screens have the window frame cutting off lower buttons (instead of them just being off screen)