Author Topic: Civilian Boat Bays  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Civilian Boat Bays
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
I Know that Some People can and Do use Boat Bays as Hanger. So Civilian Boat Bays would not have the Munitions Store that Hangers and Military Bays Do.

You have a Colony Ship going to a System that Has No other Colony's or Outposts, and the Ship is Needed to return to the Closest Capital and Pick up more Colonists. Having 2-5 Passenger & Cargo Small craft in Civilian Boat Bays ( if they fit ) would mean that the Ship would only need to transit the WP then Orbit the Planet. Then Drop the Colonists & Cargo, then Head Back.
Not Having to Land on the Planet Would Make the Colony Drop Faster.
When the Colony Ship gets back to the Capital New Colonists and Cargo are Loaded and there off to another Planet. If they Go to the Same Planet, the Small craft they Left before could be waiting so that when they(the Colony Ship) orbits the New Colonists and cargo can drop and the Ones from before can Load

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Civilian Boat Bays
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
Is there a reason for this post? We already have a civilian boat bay/hangar coming along and it has different characteristics than the military one.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:19:36 AM »
Is there a reason for this post? We already have a civilian boat bay/hangar coming along and it has different characteristics than the military one.
they Are? when did that Happen?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:02 AM »
They're already announced for 7.2, though the release probably isn't going to be done untill Aurora is done in C#.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:40 AM »
I think the reason is he didn't know that this was already coming.  The number of threads that the new version information has been spread over is truly ridiculous at this point, so I don't really blame him personally.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
I think he wants some kind of colonist drop pods.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
I think he wants some kind of colonist drop pods.
I sort of gleaned that as well, barely...
That said, can't you get roughly the same effect as "drop pods" for colonists just by making the colony ship with a significant quantity of Cargo Handling Systems? I say this, as opposed to troop-style drop pods, because I can't think of any reason why you'd want colonists to be boarding ships or being hot-dropped on hostile worlds like you would with ground forces...

In essence, Cargo Handling Systems would make colonization from orbit warpspeed without having to resort to new components.

I can't see why colonists being delivered by fighter from a jump point in-system would be favorable either, if this is what they are suggesting instead. You'd still end up moving the same tonnage of cryogenics spaces, except an incredible lot less efficiently. If you really must do something like that, you already can, anyway. Carrier with engineering spaces for long deployment and high speed fighters. There doesn't seem to be any reason to, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:47:23 PM by iceball3 »

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
I sort of gleaned that as well, barely...
That said, can't you get roughly the same effect as "drop pods" for colonists just by making the colony ship with a significant quantity of Cargo Handling Systems? I say this, as opposed to troop-style drop pods, because I can't think of any reason why you'd want colonists to be boarding ships or being hot-dropped on hostile worlds like you would with ground forces...

In essence, Cargo Handling Systems would make colonization from orbit warpspeed without having to resort to new components.

I can't see why colonists being delivered by fighter from a jump point in-system would be favorable either, if this is what they are suggesting instead. You'd still end up moving the same tonnage of cryogenics spaces, except an incredible lot less efficiently. If you really must do something like that, you already can, anyway. Carrier with engineering spaces for long deployment and high speed fighters. There doesn't seem to be any reason to, though.
No Doing Hot drops with Non Mill People Is Not Advised and Doing Hot drops with Colonialists is Rather Hard on them.
I was thinking more Of Like Star-ship troopers Assault Small Craft, And Something Similar to Drop Cargo

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »
No Doing Hot drops with Non Mill People Is Not Advised and Doing Hot drops with Colonialists is Rather Hard on them.
I was thinking more Of Like Star-ship troopers Assault Small Craft, And Something Similar to Drop Cargo
But we already have the capability to drop assets capable of defending themselves in the case of a Hot Drop. If you need construction in a contested planet, you throw down a Construction Brigade, though with much more cryo drop pods. Same goes true with any other ground force, there are technologies that allow you to "hot drop" troops on to planets instantaneously.

Hot dropping cargo is a bit harder, though, but honestly, there are few situations where the cargo is actually useful, while not being easily suited just with liberal quantities Cargo Handling Modules to make them near-instant on their relevantly-associated timescales.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:50 AM »
I hot dropped a stack of pancakes yesterday, needless to say the colonists were pissed.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
I hot dropped a stack of pancakes yesterday, needless to say the colonists were pissed.

I once got rid of a coworker's hiccups with some voodoo coffee.
You make them a moce piping hot cup of coffee, go to hand it to them, and drop it in their lap. That drop destroys hiccups. (Course the cup is actually empty when you do this. But nonetheless)

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
What happens when it's full?
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
Some say that's how the First World War started, though I think it was a turkey that was dropped.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »
I think that Tor Cha was alluding to the fact that when a colony ship arrives at a planet it must be landing on the surface in order to disembark the colonists. Why land a large ship and make them all walk down the ramp when you could sit in orbit and disperse things using civilian shuttles?

As iceBall3 says, there are Cargo Handling Systems which abstract this. I have always presumed that a part of the Cargo Handling System was shuttles/runabouts as well as the internal cranes and mechanisms for moving things around.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »
Yes same here. As with Space Port - once it's high enough level, I assume it's a functioning space elevator instead of just a bigger landing facility.