Author Topic: Starwars/Star Trek ships?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Starwars/Star Trek ships?
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Have any hardcore Starwars or Star Trek fans examined the ships in the movie and tried to duplicate them?

Nabobalis

Re: Starwars/Star Trek ships?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
It is possible, but you run into the issue that the ships when I try to design them, are rather heavy with all the different weapon banks and then adding the Jump drive also(must be badly designed/low tech). I would suspect in a prolong conflict be destroyed since missiles are the best offensive weapon(from reading the fan-fiction) and they aren't really in Star Trek that I can remember.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
When a ship can go to warp at nearly any time or place, then missiles are useless, because you just warp out of range.  Remember Star Wars/Trek both essentially have warp drive.  It really changes the dynamics of the universe.

Nabobalis

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
When a ship can go to warp at nearly any time or place, then missiles are useless, because you just warp out of range.  Remember Star Wars/Trek both essentially have warp drive.  It really changes the dynamics of the universe.

But I don't think its a good idea for a ship to go into warp when its under fire. But they also don't engage each other at the ranges you get in this game. Most ship combat is close up. You'd have to look about getting rid of missiles and just having lasers/particle torpedoes.

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• M
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
That could be design. One group could just focus on close range attacks....So of course they would always want to be close ranged.

Nabobalis

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
Quote from: "Micro102"
That could be design. One group could just focus on close range attacks....So of course they would always want to be close ranged.
True, but I can't recall ever seeing a long ranged weapon in Star Trek.

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• M
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
That could be money. The director could just focus on a better budget....So of course they would always want to have cheaper fights.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
The main reason you don't see missiles in movies/TV is that long range combats don't film well.

So, you get some kind of mish mash of dogfighting battleships.

I think that warping in ST would be a defensive maneuver.  In SW, I think that it would be a bad idea since it seems to take some calculation.  Also, SW warps are straight line.

One further reason that you don't see missiles there is that if ship scan warp, so can missiles.  Think about that one.

Oh, and I and others have done SW and ST ships in Babylon 5 Wars as one or two other board members may remember.

And, if I recall, ST ships have been done in a small press game called Starfleet Battles....

Nabobalis

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
The main reason you don't see missiles in movies/TV is that long range combats don't film well.

So, you get some kind of mish mash of dogfighting battleships.

I think that warping in ST would be a defensive maneuver.  In SW, I think that it would be a bad idea since it seems to take some calculation.  Also, SW warps are straight line.

One further reason that you don't see missiles there is that if ship scan warp, so can missiles.  Think about that one.

Oh, and I and others have done SW and ST ships in Babylon 5 Wars as one or two other board members may remember.

And, if I recall, ST ships have been done in a small press game called Starfleet Battles....

Star Trek: Missiles can't warp. They are too small plus a warp drive is too big and too expensive to be adding to missiles.
Star Wars: I'm don't know that much about hyper-drives. But to be able to build a Star Destroyer in this game would take so many years plus have such a huge failure rate, it wouldn't last long out in space.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
Quote from: "Nabobalis"
plus have such a huge failure rate, it wouldn't last long out in space.

Ummmm you do know about engineering spaces and maintenance supplies, right?  If you assign a fixed percentage your designs' mass to engineering spaces, then they'll all have roughly the same expected time to running out of spares, no matter how big or small they are.  The failure rate itself is not a good number to look at, since it's proportional to the size of the ship - it just means that on a big ship, stuff is always breaking and getting fixed.

John

Offline StratPlayer

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »

Yep -- and it was an awesome tabletop game.   :wink:
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"[/i

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
Quote from: "StratPlayer"

Yep -- and it was an awesome tabletop game.   :wink:

No was too it.  Starfleet Battles is alive and well.  http://www.starfleetgames.com/
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline StratPlayer

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:07 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"

No was too it.  Starfleet Battles is alive and well.  http://www.starfleetgames.com/

Whoa! It lives!!!!   :D

For me, it had became a "was".  I played in the 80's and early 90's but slowly lost contact with the guys I played with after moves and job-changes and marriage and kids and all that. The game boxes I had became a crushed and mangled pile during one move and disintegrated into a crumpled mass of SSD sheets and counters strewn about the back of a muddy U-Haul truck.  It was a depressing tragedy at the time, but by then I hadn't played for about a year.  :cry:

But it's very cool to see that there are still players out there and people supporting it.
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"[/i

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »

For me, it had became a "was".  I played in the 80's and early 90's but slowly lost contact with the guys I played with after moves and job-changes and marriage and kids and all that. The game boxes I had became a crushed and mangled pile during one move and disintegrated into a crumpled mass of SSD sheets and counters strewn about the back of a muddy U-Haul truck.  It was a depressing tragedy at the time, but by then I hadn't played for about a year.  :cry:

But it's very cool to see that there are still players out there and people supporting it.
There certainly are, I've just started playing the strategic spin off game Federation and Empire for the first time in 10 years.
Welchbloke

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »

You'll probably find a lot of SFB players on this forum, given that it originally evolved from from the Starfire List (which supprted another game designed by Steve V Cole)
Slàinte,

Mike