Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263567 times)

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1665 on: April 11, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »
Here a question.

I am going to be starting up a new game soon, Should i start with real star system or random systems?
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1666 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:55 AM »
Here a question.

I am going to be starting up a new game soon, Should i start with real star system or random systems?

Personally, I much prefer random systems. After 2-3 games, it feels boring to always run into the same systems at start. The planets are random anyway, but still, I prefer it to be completely random. Except Sol, that is.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #1667 on: April 12, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »
Real star games end up with much nicer jump connections though, as they are not just random, but based on the real distances between the stars. That keeps the map much more managable. This can be somewhat helped in the random systems by setting cluster size and out-of-cluster connection chance rather low, but then you tend to end up with ring galaxies.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1668 on: April 17, 2017, 03:31:01 AM »
After several starts where I had NO geo survey team discovery worthwhile, had a geo survey team find 23 million .9 availability duranium on Mars.  So I thought, "Hey, I guess I need to go terraforming research early."

Turns out, one of my +25 survey guys on the team was also my Bio +10 scientist. I got this vision of the survey leader saying, "In this one discovery, we have justified the entire project.  On Mars we have corundum, gallicite, mercassium and uridium, and now we have duranium in quantity.  If we find nothing else in the solar system, our basic economy is assured."

The Bio guy probably won't get put to work in his field until conversion to TN economy is complete and the new research labs are on line, but I thought it was cool from an RP perspective, that his out of field discovery would revive interest in his main field.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1669 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
So apparently either my unarmed survey vessel, or my equally unarmed geo survey team, managed to take several hundred POWs on Ganymede and Europa.

I didn't get any notifications to that effect, at least that I noticed.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #1670 on: April 19, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »
Are you saying they just appeared there? Without you picking up any life pods?

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1671 on: April 19, 2017, 03:11:56 AM »
All I know is that my colony had a bunch of POWs on it when I bothered to check them for geo survey team.  I don't know when it happened, I might have other moons with POWs on them, for all I know.

I thought I would have gotten a notice if there were ruins or something.  Certainly there were no wrecks.  All I know is someone, somewhere, is telling a hell of a story in a spaceport bar, and getting free drinks for it.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1672 on: April 19, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
A bit of an update, I sent xeno and diplomatic teams to the moons that had POWs on them.  I also noticed there seemed to be an option to put the POWs on a ship.   Can you put alien POWs in cryo, or should I just make a 'hospital/prisoner transport' craft to retrieve them?

The POWs are in several groups, does that matter?  combined the numbers are about 2,000, but no group is more than 600.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1673 on: April 23, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
So I didn't get a PP scientist for quite some time, but I had a decent C&P and several logistics guys.  So I figured I would get cargo handling and cryo while waiting for a PP.  And I had a good sensor scientist, so surveying early was easy.

I finally get a PP scientist, and get a nuclear thermal commercial engine designed and a commercial shipyard, and that prompted a shipping line to create a colony ship.

Suddenly, colonizing Luna looked MUCH more attractive, as they were paying ME for the privilege.  So I switched to about 25% industry for infrastructure, and built a dedicated Terra-Luna freighter with a small cargo hold.  And 10 cargo handling systems.

Loading a small cargo hold in an hour for a really short jaunt meant that dinky little ship could ship as many installations as I wanted to the moon pretty quickly.  More infrastructure than I wanted to build at that time, so I started on Terraforming Installations.  I watched a couple of videos, and they mentioned that colonies start to want protection at 10 million, so I started planning ahead.

Or so I thought.  I figured I would build the components on Earth and just ship them, but they either don't fit in a small cargo hold, so it won't give the option of shipping them, or I was just looking in the wrong place.  But I could ship the minerals just fine, and shuttling a couple construction factories over, even if they weren't going to stay, was a better option than stopping colonization while I waited for either my large freighter to be built or otherwise diverted construction to Luna.

As a strategy, I do recommend shipping a couple hundred infrastructure to Luna the moment you get Cryogenics and a commercial engine.  That seemed to be the prompt for shipping lines to build colony ships.  Just have a plan for building SOME kind of PDC on the moon, as population growth can be pretty quick with the short travel time.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1674 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:20 AM »
Protection can also be granted by just shoving a ship into orbit.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #1675 on: April 23, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
Protection is also system-wide, so anything on Earth will also count towards protecting Luna (or any other colonies, even if they aren't actually protected).

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1676 on: April 23, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
It was odd, do PDCs not build from components if you have them, like ships do?  Or do you need to specifically order them built from available components?

It is annoying that dinky little components don't fit in a small hold, when I can fit 5000 units of minerals, WAY more than needed to build those components.

Minerals take up much less space than the facilities built from them.

Oh well, from an RP perspective, I am not going to mind having built a few point defense missile launchers as PDCs.  Although I wish I could have waited for reload 3 instead of reload 2, and gotten my PDC launchers all the way down to 5 second reload.  Still, 10 second reload should be fine for an early PDC.

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #1677 on: April 23, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
I think Jacen has your solution.  If you build the PDC on earth, that will satisfy the Luna's colony need for security.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1678 on: April 24, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
True, it will supply Luna with security from the point of the colonists, but I was looking at strategies for speeding PDC construction in general.  See, if I am waiting on a particular tech for my PDC, like sensors, I could still build the launchers for the PDC, and then build the thing when I get my sensor tech finished.  But they don't assemble from ship components.

Probably because they already build from industry, so normally there wouldn't be much point.  Its just, I might get a good PDC AMM launcher pretty early, you only need reload 3 to get PDC launchers every 5 seconds, so I thought I would be clever and just stock up a bunch of them, and then ship them where I would build PDCs and assemble that way, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

So good thing I found out with a small scale PDC project.  I figure I will want SOME AMM bases on every planet of importance to me.  Of course, I can build the AMM launchers long before I can even DESIGN missiles for them, let alone build them.  I figure the colonists can look at the bases as a sign of commitment that those launchers will have missiles eventually.  Bit of a Quaker Cannon thing though.

I am building a 500 ton collier with 5 magazines, so I will be able to ship missiles to my colonies without tying down a shipyard with retooling.  I am likewise building a 500 ton 'tanker', again, so I can shuttle fuel or rescue a stranded ship, without tying down major resources.  One thing I need to do in the future is plan my early shipyard tooling a bit better.  I want my first shipyard tooling to be able to handle geo and grav survey, small tankers and small colliers.  So about 15 HS beyond the commercial engine, or so.  I recall difficulties with getting a shipyard tooled to make 1 engineering space geo survey ships to build ships within its costs and size range that had more engineering spaces was a problem.

Hopefully a yard designed for a slightly oversized ship with 3 engineering spaces can also build geosurvey ships that have 1.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #1679 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
You can't assemble PDCs from ship components, but you can build pre-fabbed PDC sections that can be transported to and assembled on other planets, for a very small mineral cost. It should be an option in the industry tab somewhere. The PDC design screen will also tell you you how many pre-fabbed sections it will take to build at the bottom of the design.

But otherwise you're right, unfortunately you can't build components for them before you finish the design like you can with ships.