Author Topic: Issue with the resolution, windows won’t scale - 1.12  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
Issue with the resolution, windows won’t scale - 1.12
« on: October 13, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
I’m playing on a TV with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, but I have the same result on other resolutions, including 3840 x 2160.

Without High DPI scaling override, it’s a nightmare. Every screen is too small so parts of it are cropped. With it on, it’s fine, but the game information screen doesn’t scale properly - specifically, the new game screen doesn’t get bigger than the original game information one, meaning that most options are left cropped out. Other screens seem to be working fine.

Is there a way to fix that?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Issue with the resolution, windows won’t scale - 1.12
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:40:49 AM »
I use 2 monitors with 3440x1440 and 2560x1440, so its not the resolution that is the problem.

It sounds like it may be the TV for some reason - anyone else using Aurora on a TV?

Offline kingflute

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 03:49:05 AM »
I tried using a TV screen with 1.  10, but without any success, though I believe it was the TV that was the issue as it wouldn't work with other games either. 

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 05:06:29 AM »
I’ve been playing dozens of games on this TV, neer had a problem except for Combat Mission, but that was fixed by fixing DPI settings.

Also, every window in the game is fine. Ironically, it’s just the new game window that won’t scale.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:39:48 AM »
I narrowed it down a bit. I tried to run Aurora on my laptop, and using any Windows compatibility DPI settings will make the game not scale that particular window.

Is there a minimum screen size for Aurora? My laptop has a 1920x1080 resolution, but its screen is just 11 inch. As a result, the bottom part of most screens is invisible. Is there a way to fix that? Looks like none of my devices are capable of running Aurora since my old gaming laptop died.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »
Minimum is 1440x900

Offline Kev

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »
Yeah.  I posted about this issue in bugs thread.  I found two windows that are not scaling properly.
Issue only present when there is dpi scaling (!= 100%) enabled for the display and override set to System for aurora. exe.  I personally can't play without the override - my eyes get fatigued very quickly looking constantly at blurry text.  Scaling override helps by scaling actual sizes of all controls and fonts on forms so everything remains sharp and clean.  And almost all windows scale fine.  Only Game Information (after clicking "New Game") and Class Design do not.  Probably because there is hardcoded form size specified somewhere in the code. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:56:21 AM by Kev »

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
Minimum is 1440x900

So my laptop definitely meets it, as does my PC. On both systems, however, either the new game screen is missing a part of it and everything else is fine or everything is terrible, missing the bottom parts of most screens, but the new game screen is alright (on my laptop) while on my PC all screens miss about 75% because they don’t scale properly.

What’s the correct setting to make things work?

Offline Kev

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »
Try reducing value of "Change the size of text, apps and other items" slider in windows display settings closer to 100%.

Online db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
DPI scaling raises the minimum required resolution. At 100% scaling the minimum resolution is 1440×900, but at 125% it will be 1800×1125.

By design, most of the game windows do not resize at all. You can't make them larger to take a larger portion of the screen, or size them down to make them fit on a smaller screen. AuroraMod overrides this, but the result is not very amazing. Windows that are smaller than they need to be simply gain an extra scrollbar that allows you to scroll down or over to the parts of the window that would otherwise be inaccessible.

To have better chance of figuring out what is going wrong on your televisions you will need to take screenshots. Not photographs, but proper screenshots. Your description of the problem actually sounds rather backwards. DPI scaling makes the windows smaller? That doesn't make any sense. Perhaps the window has stayed the same size, but the controls inside it have been scaled up. That would be an unusual result, but I don't think it's actually impossible, and it would definitely be a bug in the game. The DPI settings are supposed to be handled either by Windows in a manner which is transparent to the game, or by the game in a manner that tells Windows not to do anything. It's possible that the game has told windows that it will handle the scaling, but that it fails to scale the window sizes that it requests. Many years ago I had to read a very long MDN article that explained all the technical details, and I recall that those details can indeed be complicated. Worse, the results can depend on the setting of some checkboxes buried in the Visual Studio settings for your project.

Offline Silfir

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »
I have one of those small full HD laptops. Usually it scales up to 150% by default, but I switched it to 100% ages ago for Out of the Park Baseball, and now Aurora as well.

It seems very likely to me that upscaling would be active on a TV, because the assumption is that it will be farther away. Right click your desktop for display settings and make sure you try 100% if it's not set already.