Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 145043 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
On that note, I'm doing an earth start w/ npr games, and there's literally too many sensor contacts to read since the list vanishes if you scroll too far up. Even with active contact grouping.  It would be handy if they could sort by tonnage, or you could set specific designs to ignore, or something.  :2cents:

In VB6 Aurora you can look at one race at a time if that helps, or filter by active sensors only, or remove civilians, or contacts with neutral/friendly races, or you can group by type.

Something else to consider is disabling sensors in Sol. Unless there is some reason to fight, the game will run a lot faster without the sensor phase in Sol.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:23:47 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »
Would it help if there was an alternative option to disable sensors only for neutral or friendly contacts in a system? I think there might be significant gains to be had in that, especially if you could set this option on as default for all systems at the game start screen.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
Would it help if there was an alternative option to disable sensors only for neutral or friendly contacts in a system? I think there might be significant gains to be had in that, especially if you could set this option on as default for all systems at the game start screen.

Interesting idea, although could be an issue if a neutral alien race that you couldn't see suddenly opened fire on you :)

I hope that the sensor phase will be a lot faster in the C# version though so performance may not be a problem.

Offline Noble713

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • N
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 06:58:38 AM »
It looks gorgeous Steve. Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to this  ;D

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
Interesting idea, although could be an issue if a neutral alien race that you couldn't see suddenly opened fire on you :)

I hope that the sensor phase will be a lot faster in the C# version though so performance may not be a problem.
The obvious fudge there is to make it so that it only hides neutral races that are actually neutral (not planning to attack, instead of simply having not hit you yet).  While this does create an obvious problem in gameplay terms, we all know that 'turning sensors off' is a hack for performance reasons, and that in real life, they'd still be getting all the data.  Or at least create an option to that effect.  Or make it so we can choose which races we don't detect.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline InfinitySquared

• Leading Rate
  • I
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »
Oh, this looks amazing! Would it be possible to change the colors in the map display screen perhaps? Would it be feasible to take cues from the 3DS Max UI for fitting the menus into smaller screens? What Max does is that it makes the various toolbars and menus draggable as well as organizing them into collapsible subsections, allowing the user to quickly reveal and unreveal commands they may need. 

Offline razanon

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 04:39:53 AM »
you're in the history of great game creators. . .  thx a lot for giving us a jewel called aurora.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 04:39:36 PM »
you're in the history of great game creators. . .  thx a lot for giving us a jewel called aurora.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Yep this smeg right here.

For me, Steve stands shoulder to shoulder with Sid Meier and other giants of serious gaming ;)

Ontopic : At the risk of sounding like a complete retard - whats the difference between C# Aurora and normal one ?
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
Ontopic : At the risk of sounding like a complete retard - whats the difference between C# Aurora and normal one ?
Aurora is written in Visual Basic (VB) programming language while C# is writen in...  C#.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
Its bigger than that, now it loads everything into memory and only touches the database to save the game state.  It should run massively faster.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:44 AM »
If the rumours are true, perhaps "massively faster" is still an understatement  :o

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 05:13:23 AM »
If the rumours are true, perhaps "massively faster" is still an understatement  :o

So you mean that one massive flaw Aurora has in mid-late game, will cease to exist ?

:o ;D Will i get to play it before i get old ? :P
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 05:34:21 AM »
So you mean that one massive flaw Aurora has in mid-late game, will cease to exist ?

:o ;D Will i get to play it before i get old ? :P
No. It'll still exist. Performance will continue to  fall as there are more ships, and NPC and inhabited planets to account for.  How much it'll slowdown is the question. And it may still be by a lot.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »
No. It'll still exist. Performance will continue to  fall as there are more ships, and NPC and inhabited planets to account for.  How much it'll slowdown is the question. And it may still be by a lot.
No not really. It will cease to exist for the most part for people not using potatoes. As it is now you  could probably play it on a windows XP machine, maybe even a 98 without any big noticeable changes. In the new language (and memory improvements) it can actually take advantage of the power of new machines.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.