Poll

No minister has yet been given control of Terraforming suggestions have been put forth who should oversee Terraforming

Commerse Minister
2 (25%)
Infrastructure Minister
4 (50%)
Technology Minister
0 (0%)
New Minister
2 (25%)
Other
0 (0%)
None of the Above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Senate Resolution 2 Terraforming  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
Senate Resolution 2 Terraforming
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:17 AM »
  Another little issue that came up is who controls terraforming.  no ministry has been given the responsibility as of yet.   the first suggestion has been that the Commerce Minister should oversee such things.   I could see both the Infrastructure and the Technology ministers having their right to claim this right as well.   so senate who should control terraforming.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Senate Resolution 2 Terraforming
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
I should add that the Commerce minister is already controlling funding to private shipping lines and colonization. So it make ton of sense to control where the terraformers go.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »
I would say Commerce minister, but I would like to see a sign off clause by the military minister as there is defence considerations or atleast the military can make an appeal the the President who have a veto power.

Could you make this amendment to the document, and I would full endorse your proposal.

Also these multiple choice questions do not give a clear way of vetoing your proposal for no changes at all, could you please add  a veto for all new proposals
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:31:55 AM by ardem »

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
Colonies need defense, and fleets need repair bases which colonists can provide. I don't think it makes sense to have military with full control over terraforming, but some form of input would be good yes.

Also there is also the possibility of using it to massacre unruly aliens if we need to, which I suspect might fall under the military.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
Well, it is in the nature of Government that all Ministers have to cooperate. Actually, the decision of where to set up new colonies is such an important one that I think it should be a Presidential prerogative. However, the implementation of this decision should belong to the ministry of Commerce.

Judging by the current voting trend however, I am afraid that too much power will go to the Infrastructure Minister.

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:53:07 AM »
This situation is exactly the type of conundrum I hope to avoid in the future with my bill. No one has given a reason that the Infrastructure Minister should be given command of terraformers, and yet people vote for it anyway. This is quite obviously a problem that must be solved in the near future.

Personally, I believe that terraforming ships should fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Commerce as they are commercial ships after all, but any terraforming installations should be under the control of the Ministry of Infrastructure as it has control of all facilities on a planet.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
I would propose a sub-ministry of Commerce for Terraforming and Colonial affairs that is responsible for directing terraforming activities and in preparing colonial locations as well as monitoring colonial conditions to ensure safe working and living environments.

Orion Starion, Senator at large

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
Wouldn't it make sense to split Infrastructure into a Minister of Homeworld Infrastructure and a Minister for Colonisation? One person can hold both portfolios if necessary (we don't want to spread players too thin here!), but that seems a useful division. And then terraforming is very clearly under the purview of the Colonisation ministry.

Do watch out for creating too many single-issue ministries, though.  Because those players are going to get to do roughly one thing every year - lobby for additional resources for their portfolio, then set some numbers.  I'm not sure what various players' goals are here as far as participation goes, but the divisions should be made with some care.