Author Topic: Steve Great Game  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Larac (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
Steve Great Game
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
Really like thsi system, even though I am more than a bit lost.

A few questions I must of missed in the Tuts.

When building a ship, where do you get the weapon systems, I researched them, but have not found how to add to the ship lists.

Also I was having issues with multi slip shipyards, do I retool for each slip itself or the whole yard, and how would I do it?

Thats as far as I have gotten so far.

Thanks for the help.

Lee

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Steve Great Game
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
After you've designed the weapons and researched them, they should be on the third tab (Components, I believe) of the F5 design screen. Just scroll down the list.

Retooling is per shipyard. So Shipyard A with 5 slips gets retools to the Able class, all 5 slips can build Ables when it is done. Shipyard B with 1 slip would not be affected by any retooling changes to A.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
After you've designed the weapons and researched them, they should be on the third tab (Components, I believe) of the F5 design screen. Just scroll down the list.

Retooling is per shipyard. So Shipyard A with 5 slips gets retools to the Able class, all 5 slips can build Ables when it is done. Shipyard B with 1 slip would not be affected by any retooling changes to A.

I suspect he has researched the underlying tech systems, but not the weapons themselves.  

First you research the component tech areas, which for a laser would be, for example, 12cm laser focal size, Capacitor Recharge Rate 3, and Ultraviolet laser.  You don't need to research all three, you could make a laser with lower component technologies, but for this example we'll assume that you researched all three.  Once you've done that, you need to R&D an actual laser by going to the research tab on the Population and Production screen and clicking on the "Design" button on the lower-middle-left.  Once there you can design a laser weapons system to fit your needs.  

This system is more than a little complex at first, but it allows you unparalleled flexibility to design all sorts of weapons systems, instead of relying on one or two canned, preset weapons.  

Feel free to ask any question you want here, there are plenty of people here that can answer.  

Kurt

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:51:06 AM »
Almost every system on a ship needs this same sort of design reasearch before it can be mounted on a ship.  As a rule of thumb, the only systems that get around this are crew quarters,survey sensors, fuel tanks, engineering, cargo holds, cryogenic holds and cargo handling systems.  Basically systems that do not have multiple reasearch lines.  If there seem to be more than one reasearch line that affects a particular system then it will need to be designed and reasearched after getting the background tech.  As a side note, you will also need to design your missiles in the same way using the missile tab, and for designing turrets, you first have to reasearch the specific weapon design you want in the turret (turret tab).  Currently only lasers, mesons, and gauss cannon can be put in turrets.  If you want point defence to shoot down incomming missiles you will probably want to design turrets with a good tracking speed.  Try to get the turret tracking tech line to match your fire-controll speed tech line if possible.

Brian

Offline Larac (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »
Thanks all,

Yep missed that section.

Off to try again.

Lee