Author Topic: wiki?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
wiki?
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »
I was wondering if it would be feasible for the forum host to also host a wiki? There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on these boards and it strikes me that all the information could be better correlated in a searchable/organized wiki.

Could try a public wiki to start with and allow everybody access to create/edit pages and hopefully build up a quick group of how-to entries for new folks - like me :)

On the other hand, I know that part of the fun in playing Aurora is finding out how things work by yourself!

Thoughts?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: wiki?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:42:08 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I was wondering if it would be feasible for the forum host to also host a wiki? There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on these boards and it strikes me that all the information could be better correlated in a searchable/organized wiki.

Could try a public wiki to start with and allow everybody access to create/edit pages and hopefully build up a quick group of how-to entries for new folks - like me :)

On the other hand, I know that part of the fun in playing Aurora is finding out how things work by yourself!

Thoughts?
There was a rules Wiki for a while but it was lost when the site closed down.  Erik has mentioned that, given sufficient interest, he is prepared to resurrect it.
The discussion is here:
http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=772
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
Indeed. I will recreate a wiki for Aurora given sufficient interest :)

I have looked at some wiki solutions on and off in the past few months to see what would be a good one. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know. Some requirements would be that it handles file uploads (for graphics), and can be secured relatively easily.

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
You could try http://canvas.riaforge.org/ which is Coldfusion based wiki. I haven't used it myself, but I develop in Coldfusion and the Author of that wiki is very good at what he does - I follow his blog daily.

It is under the Apache License so free to use and from reading his brief description of it you can edit it to add functional content.

I do not know if it comes with image embedding out of the box though and you would need to secure a CF server (we use the Adobe ones for work, but I think there are free editions for 'live' sites out there).

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
I'm loading MediaWiki. Biggest points for me were MySQL backend, PHP and the ability to upload files. Once it's installed and configured, I'll post a link to it.