Author Topic: Trans-Newtonian and Conventional startout.  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Trans-Newtonian and Conventional startout.
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
I have a question. If you pick a conventional empire to start out with, does that mean all the NPRs in the game start out as a conventional empire as well to make it fair? Or do they automatically start out trans-newtonian no matter what?

One more question, where can I find a topic or page concerning what constructions do exactly, how much I should have at once, etc? And by constructions I mean things like automated mines, mines, military academies, etc.

Aaaaand concerning starting out one more time. How many research labs do you give yourself? I started with 20 in a conventional startup.

By the way I'm loving the game. I fixed the windows resolution in a hackjob sort of way via the desktop properties. I'm on my way to finally buildimg my very first spaceship after many, many wasted years of research without ever figuring out what the heck the 'design' button was for. Looking forward to surveying the local system for stuff to mine because my planetary reserves are going to run try in a matter of years.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Trans-Newtonian and Conventional startout.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
Quote from: "Judicator"
I have a question. If you pick a conventional empire to start out with, does that mean all the NPRs in the game start out as a conventional empire as well to make it fair?

No.

Or do they automatically start out trans-newtonian no matter what?

Yes.

One more question, where can I find a topic or page concerning what constructions do exactly, how much I should have at once, etc? And by constructions I mean things like automated mines, mines, military academies, etc.

You can't, as everyone has their own idea about how many / what percentage is 'right'.  Virtually every game of Aurora is spent rushing from 'too much of X' to 'not enough Y' to 'I need more Z and I need them yesterday'.

As for what they do, read the wiki, the FAQ forum, the Academy forum, the Mechanics forum, every AAR (after-action report) you can find, and make liberal use of the Search function.  (Note: The search function is pretty bad, but it's better than nothing.)

Aaaaand concerning starting out one more time. How many research labs do you give yourself? I started with 20 in a conventional startup.

None.  I don't mean I start with zero, I mean I don't "give" myself any.  I start with however many Aurora assigns based on my population, conventional/TN decision, and government type, and go from there.  Typically, this means three.

Of course, as soon as I've finished converting my conventional industry, I promptly build more - a LOT more.  Usually so many more that I run out of available workers to man them all.  Somewhere in the 30-50 range.  Enough to employ all of my scientists.

More research facilities are generally my number one priority.  The only things to rank higher are more mines (if my empire is running short of minerals) or automines (if a better mineral source than my homeworld is found, or my HW runs short of a critical mineral).

Nabobalis

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
If I try to upgrade the mines to automated mines it says I don't have any mines to upgrade but it also says I have 1080 mines. Do those mines come from the conventional industry?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »
Yes.
You have to first convert some of your conventional industry to mines. Those can then be converted to automated mines.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany