Author Topic: thematic Questions  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
thematic Questions
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
hello,

So I have a huge, long-running campaign that I've been playing for a while now...but when I graduate, I'm gonna start something new (while probably keeping the old one to play on occasion).

I want to base my new campaign on my science fiction stories. This new campaign will be fairly...unique, and require some modifications to the way aurora is usually played. So I have a few questions

1) I have seen at several points that it is possible to create your own theme for commander names. This would be pretty essential for this setting. How can I do that?

2) This campaign would take place in the year 100,099...are there any problems with setting the clock this far ahead?

3) Am I correct in assuming that if I raise the tech level of my own civilization, at game start, then enemy NPR's generated will be at the same tech level?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
Re: thematic Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
I've never fussed with importing themes, but I am pretty sure that NPRs start at the same tech levels no matter what level you're at. Even if you happen to have a conventional start.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
If you start with 250k RP, NPRs start with 250k RP. If you start with 1 million RP. They start with 1 million RP.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
1) Steve implemented a button to enter themes into your Aurora database. To do so start a campaign and in the small command window go to Game -> Add Theme. Details as to what files you need to enter can be found here.

2) Just created a test game starting at 500,000 and progressed a year. Seems to work just fine - The year is probably an long integer or floating point value and should go up to the millions range.

3) Iirc when you encounter NPRs they're generated roughly at your own tech level, +/- a little variance.

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »

2) Just created a test game starting at 500,000 and progressed a year. Seems to work just fine - The year is probably an long integer or floating point value and should go up to the millions range.

That's what I figured, but I couldn't find the location inside the database itself, and I didn't want to take any risks with a Y100000K bug of some kind.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
That's what I figured, but I couldn't find the location inside the database itself, and I didn't want to take any risks with a Y100000K bug of some kind.

From what I can tell, Aurora only stores the start date and time elapsed (in seconds).  To figure out the current date, it adds the time elapsed to the start date.

It appears that the time is stored as a 8-byte (64-bit) signed Currency value, so the max game length is something on the order of 296 billion A-years (longer than the universe has existed!)

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »
It appears that the time is stored as a 8-byte (64-bit) signed Currency value...

Can't... resist... obvious... joke...

The definite proof that time is money.

Sorry.