Author Topic: Government Type  (Read 1561 times)

Online Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
Government Type
« on: May 04, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »
Has there been any thought toward modeling forms or types of government? This could have a significant impact on the way a game plays out.

For instance, if the empire was run by a despotic or tyrannical emperor, all industry might be state controlled. This would have obvious pros and cons on the economy, military, research, etc. Similarly, there could be monarchies with feudal systems, which I think would really enhance role play. You could appoint officers as colony governors, grant them territories and titles and at some point, they could evolve into NPRs. There could even be a dynastic element with family relations, children, political marriage, etc. Something along the lines of Crusader Kings.

Not that Aurora needs any more complexity, but there would seem to be so many intriguing possibilities...mega capitalist societies, oligarchies, democracies, theocracies, etc.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Government Type
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
That kind of things is left to the player to write his own fluff and story.

Offline Mr.Nap

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
However, the impact on the economy and industry could be interesting.

Online Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
That kind of things is left to the player to write his own fluff and story.

Clearly. I'm saying it would be cool to have some of those features in the game.

Just a thought.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
Has there been any thought toward modeling forms or types of government? This could have a significant impact on the way a game plays out.

For instance, if the empire was run by a despotic or tyrannical emperor, all industry might be state controlled.

It is, and it is.

This would have obvious pros and cons on the economy, military, research, etc.

I have dispatched my local Friendly Persuader battalion to discuss with you the perceived "cons" of my enlightened leadership.

Similarly, there could be monarchies with feudal systems, which I think would really enhance role play. You could appoint officers as colony governors, grant them territories and titles and at some point, they could evolve into NPRs. There could even be a dynastic element with family relations, children, political marriage, etc. Something along the lines of Crusader Kings.

I could, I can, and I do.  And we have the 'Independence' button for colonies when necessary.

The Crusader Kings trimmings can be left for Crusader Kings.

Not that Aurora needs any more complexity, but there would seem to be so many intriguing possibilities...mega capitalist societies, oligarchies, democracies, theocracies, etc.

You are correct.  It certainly does not need the complexity of trying to model a thousand different fictions with a thousand different varities of each.  We have SpaceMaster for that.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »
It would be nice to have the old Government Type selection from VB6 race setup back, even as a purely cosmetic thing.  Sure, it's just RP fluff, but a lot of what makes Aurora interesting to play is leaning into your own story.

The following users thanked this post: REDACTED

Offline Mr.Nap

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
It would be nice to have the old Government Type selection from VB6 race setup back, even as a purely cosmetic thing.  Sure, it's just RP fluff, but a lot of what makes Aurora interesting to play is leaning into your own story.

Yes, is we have everything we need to do it.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
You can achieve this with SM, just modify your raceial statistics to reflect the governemtn attributes you wish to portray. If you worked out a table of various government types then you can apply these quickly to any new races you brought into your empire, this would help to represent a variety of society types under one banner.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 02:14:14 AM »
You can achieve this with SM, just modify your raceial statistics to reflect the governemtn attributes you wish to portray. If you worked out a table of various government types then you can apply these quickly to any new races you brought into your empire, this would help to represent a variety of society types under one banner.

If you search this board, you can find the old government types list and their modifiers.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 05:10:25 AM »
It's even easier to find on the wiki: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Government