Author Topic: Sensor Suites  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Sensor Suites
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:26:53 AM »
Its annoying having to add a missile AS, a fighter AS, a cap ship AS, and then your thermals and EMs all separately. You should be able to design a sensor suite that is simply a combination of all these sensors wrapped into one for convenience sake. Perhaps you could add some synergizing effects as well to justify the research time like reduced weight or greater efficiency.

Same with weapon systems; you should be able to bundle fire-controls with specific weapons. I get mixed up on which FC goes with which railgun far too much...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:51:33 PM by BasileusMaximos »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
Re: Sensor Suites
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:39:16 AM »
Sensor suites really don't exist in real life.

You need to work on your naming convention if you are getting confused.  Manufacture names do not need to be manufacture names, they can just as well be functional/role names.  (Though after playing a bit you inherently will recognize the generated output and what each use)
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Ehndras

Offline Ehndras

• Voidwalker
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:30:22 AM »
^ Valid point. I name all components after their specifications, ex "1R-50M Missile Detector" for a 50 million range res-1 active sensor; "S5 RM100 30K-4D ASM" for a size 5 100 million range 30k km/s 4-damage anti-ship missile, etc. I throw in RP names for flavor, but always at the END of the specs so it lists them accordingly.
"Boop!" goes the thermonuclear missile salvo

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
Its annoying having to add a missile AS, a fighter AS, a cap ship AS, and then your thermals and EMs all separately. You should be able to design a sensor suite that is simply a combination of all these sensors wrapped into one for convenience sake. Perhaps you could add some synergizing effects as well to justify the research time like reduced weight or greater efficiency.

Same with weapon systems; you should be able to bundle fire-controls with specific weapons. I get mixed up on which FC goes with which railgun far too much...

"Copy Design"

"Rename Design"

Tweak & edit to your heart's content.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »

I do not put every sensor on every ship.  Point defense ships or beam armed ships get my standard resolution 1 sensor AS##-R1.  This sensor has a low footprint, and can be left on all of time.  Missile based combatants typically only have a single AS####-R100, at least until I actually face a sub 5000 ton enemy.  Dedicated scout ships tend to have very large passive suites and a couple of Active systems with different resolutions (R20 and R200) for special use.  having multiple active sensors on a single ship is rough because your only option is all on or all off,  by having them on separate ships I can control how much I am giving to the enemy.

Online QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »
I would like it as a convenience thing.  I think the statement that sensor suites dont exist in real life would be a good argument against any synergizing effects.  However, I think it would be at least marginally useful to be able to package things up like that even if they dont get any benefits from being packaged up together.

Side note, particularly for capital ships with plenty of extra room it would make sense to have layered sensor arrays to extend your ability to detect various tonnages.  The whole system kindof specifically favors multiple sensor resolutions.  Just because you don't use that doesn't mean other people would have no use for it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:04:57 AM by QuakeIV »

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
I agree with using multiple sensor resolutions, I just do not see a benefit to game play to create a new sensor type with multiple resolutions. 

Would the RP requirement be the sum of the individual resolutions, or plus a factor or minus a factor?  Same issue with the size, and the em output would be significant.  Do we have a new tech series that limits how many resolution can be supported in a suite?

I think there is currently a distinct drawback to  multiple sensors on a single ship due to the fact that you cannot turn the individual sensors on and off.  A suite of the type advocated would be simpler, but it would also be like putting a kick me sign on the ship using it.  Asking these questions is not saying do not do it as much as recognizing that it is not a simple fix.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »
What if we made the building, researching and designing Suites a bit like a turret?

The following users thanked this post: the obelisk

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
That could work

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »
What if we made the building, researching and designing Suites a bit like a turret?

Good idea, but then packed sensor suites need to weigh less. Otherwise it would not be appealing other than convenience.

Online QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
That isn't required at all, the original suggestion seems to be purely convenience based.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
That isn't required at all, the original suggestion seems to be purely convenience based. Little things like reduced crew requirements and tonnage to represent the better-integrated systems.

No, I think there should be some synergies for sensor suites. You shouldnt have to spend time on a research project just for convenience sales. Little things like reduced size and crew requirements to represent better integrated systems.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:03:38 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
That isn't required at all, the original suggestion seems to be purely convenience based.

Haha, I had said the same thing with original, literally. :)