Author Topic: Active Precursors  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Active Precursors
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
I'm contemplating a scenario in which precursors genetically engineered the human race to what it is. At the same time, they terraformed a number of planets to human tolerances.

I'm trying to decide if I should generate a number of systems prior to game start and seed the terraformed planets (with ruins) or to play and use SM mode to modify candidates found during play.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Active Precursors
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I'm contemplating a scenario in which precursors genetically engineered the human race to what it is. At the same time, they terraformed a number of planets to human tolerances.

I'm trying to decide if I should generate a number of systems prior to game start and seed the terraformed planets (with ruins) or to play and use SM mode to modify candidates found during play.
I think it would probably be more immersive if you set it up prior to game start. Modifying as you go would feel too artifical I think and break-up the flavour of the campaign..

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

I think it would probably be more immersive if you set it up prior to game start. Modifying as you go would feel too artifical I think and break-up the flavour of the campaign..

Steve

That's what I was thinking too. Now to figure out the best way to accomplish that. :)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
Generate 20-30 systems and pick the ones you want to have terraformed.  Set up the jump point network for the first few transits.  You do not need to fill every jump point with a destination, just those leading to the worlds you have designed.  I would then save a copy of the database and while still in SM mode check what tech levels each ruin is for.  Better yet, if you can go into the database and set them to the same race/empire and tech.  Otherwise check what tl each is at, and if you find one that doesn't work for what you want you could go back to the original save and change it.  Keep doing this untill you are satisfied as to the ruins that are left around for your pc's to find.

Brian

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
I generated 20 systems, about half got terraformed, most of them ended up under 1x cost. All terraformed systems got a ruin. And all existing JP links were broken.

Then I added Sol and the Humans.

Now I need to go into the db and make all the ruins the same race.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
I generated 20 systems, about half got terraformed, most of them ended up under 1x cost. All terraformed systems got a ruin. And all existing JP links were broken.

Then I added Sol and the Humans.

Now I need to go into the db and make all the ruins the same race.
Be aware that if the ruins are all the same race, as soon as a Xenology team cracks one of them, it will crack all of them. The Xenology teams work on a racial basis, not on each specific ruin.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
Be aware that if the ruins are all the same race, as soon as a Xenology team cracks one of them, it will crack all of them. The Xenology teams work on a racial basis, not on each specific ruin.

Steve
Any way to make it so that you actually need to have the xenology team on the planet and spending a little time to realize that it is a previously deciphered language.  Not long, just a month or two as they clear out debris, find writing samples, ect.

Mostly I do not want it to be discover and reactiveate one ruin, then discover another ruin with a survey ship and presto the ruin is ready for engineer brigades to move in and start activating the remains.

Brian

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"

Steve
Any way to make it so that you actually need to have the xenology team on the planet and spending a little time to realize that it is a previously deciphered language.  Not long, just a month or two as they clear out debris, find writing samples, ect.

Mostly I do not want it to be discover and reactiveate one ruin, then discover another ruin with a survey ship and presto the ruin is ready for engineer brigades to move in and start activating the remains.

Brian

I like that idea too.

The background is that one race (hence the homogenity of precursor ruin races) terraformed a number of planets in the distant past.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
steve is it possible to have the xenology team work on a per ruin not a per race basis for any future changes