Author Topic: magical re-loading  (Read 3416 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
magical re-loading
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
Can precursors re-load their magazines "by magic"?  I cleared one system of their ships after multiple battles in which they fired missiles, ran away, came back and fired again.  I have now conquered with ground troops three separate asteroids in the system with precursor tracking stations, but no ground troops or missile stockpiles.  Does this mean that there's a missile stockpile waiting to be discovered?  (Perhaps my geosurvey ships moved too fast and failed to detect it?)  Or is it possible that the enemy was just automatically replenishing its magazines over time?

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
Re: magical re-loading
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

They do some things by magic, but I'm pretty sure that's not one of them.

I'm thinking that either you haven't found the cache of missiles or (more likely) they simply used the last of it in their last rearming. 

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Related question: do precursor missile stockpiles always have armed guards?  I've found tracking stations without robots, but I don't recall ever finding a missile cache without them.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
To both of your questions, no.

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
They do run strange counter attacks. I seized one of their deep tracking stations once and within a month two ships showed up and made a beeline for the captured station. Once they arrived there was suddenly a MASSIVE precursor army on the planet that annihilated my force that had seized the station. The ships dissapeared in the process. My only guess is that the ships themselves were the ground forces and that when they landed they ceased to be ships and became ground troops.

Thankfully I was able to simply bombard the enemy troops into the ground with my fleet.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:01 AM »
They do run strange counter attacks. I seized one of their deep tracking stations once and within a month two ships showed up and made a beeline for the captured station. Once they arrived there was suddenly a MASSIVE precursor army on the planet that annihilated my force that had seized the station. The ships dissapeared in the process. My only guess is that the ships themselves were the ground forces and that when they landed they ceased to be ships and became ground troops.

Thankfully I was able to simply bombard the enemy troops into the ground with my fleet.

The ships disappeared because they took over your tracking stations.

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
Nope, I had ships with active scanners within range of the moon. The ships disappeared entirely not just because they took the deep space tracking station. I also had another deep space tracking center in the Jovian system that I had seized about a week after the first that covered the moon as well. Attacking this system was a fairly large operation as it was the biggest precursor base I had ever run into. Over 10 ships and it required my entire fleet (but then my fleet is tiny).

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Nope, I had ships with active scanners within range of the moon. The ships disappeared entirely not just because they took the deep space tracking station. I also had another deep space tracking center in the Jovian system that I had seized about a week after the first that covered the moon as well. Attacking this system was a fairly large operation as it was the biggest precursor base I had ever run into. Over 10 ships and it required my entire fleet (but then my fleet is tiny).

Precursor troop transports disintegrate after landing troops on a body.  I've had this occur before, as have others.  I assume it's a bug or a shortcut in the code, but if you like, you can imagine that the ship itself is a robot (or cluster of robots) that lands on the body and attacks your troops.

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
Precursor troop transports disintegrate after landing troops on a body.  I've had this occur before, as have others.  I assume it's a bug or a shortcut in the code, but if you like, you can imagine that the ship itself is a robot (or cluster of robots) that lands on the body and attacks your troops.

I think its a nice touch that way, the ships themselves are robots that can disassemble into ground troops. Reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_%28Stargate%29 but not quite the same.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »
Makes me think of the intro sequence in Mass Effect 3  :)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
I had the same experience.. I found some precursors missile armed in a system; after a first attack, they fast back to somewhere to reload their magazines, so it was a second missile attack after the which it looks like they finished stockpiles, so they started to ram my civilian ships until they exploded because damages; after some years, I have found a small DSTS in a planet, but no missiles. I like these kind of things  :P

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »
I didn't think precursors had the ability to ram.

But another spoiler race just might. 

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »

I didn't think precursors had the ability to ram.

But another spoiler race just might. 

;)